This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs|
|Formed||26 January 1944|
|Employees||19,137 (Gazetted Officers) & 53,754 (Non Gazetted Officers)|
|Governing body||Government of India|
|Headquarters||Ministry of Finance, North Block, New Delhi, India|
|Elected officer responsible|
|Parent agency||Ministry of Finance, Department of Revenue, Government of India.|
The Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) (Hindi:केंद्रीय अप्रत्यक्ष कर एवं सीमा शुल्क बोर्ड) is the nodal national agency responsible for administering Customs, GST, Central Excise, Service Tax & Narcotics in India. The Customs & Central Excise/CGST department was established in the year 1855 by the then British Governor General of India, to administer customs laws in India and collection of import duties / land revenue. It is one of the oldest government departments of India.
Currently the Customs and Central Excise /CGST department comes under the Department of Revenue, Ministry of Finance, Government of India. The agency is staffed by IRS officers who start their careers as Assistant Commissioners/Directors in the field and within 20–25 years rise to the post of Chief Commissioners, with a few senior most officers who become Chairman/Members of CBIC / CESTAT / Settlement Commission.
The Central Board of Indirect Taxes & Customs (CBIC) is headed by Pranab Kumar Das and at present consists of four Members of CBIC.
- Chairperson - Mr. P. K. Das, IRS
- Member (Tax Policy, IT, Legal & CV) - Dr. John Joseph, IRS
- Member (Customs) - Mr. Raj Kumar Barthwal, IRS
- Member (Admin & Vigilance) - Mr. Ashok Kumar Pandey, IRS
- Member (Investigation, GST & CX ) - Mr. Sandeep Mohan Bhatnagar, IRS
The designations and time-scales within the Indian Revenue Service (Customs & CGST) are as follows after cadre restructure:
|Position / Pay Grade in the Government of India||Level and Rank|
|1||Junior Time Scale||Assistant Commissioner of Customs and CGST / Entry-level (Probationer)|
|2||Senior Time Scale||Deputy Commissioner of Customs and CGST (Equivalent to) Under Secretary to Government of India|
|3||Junior Administrative Grade||Joint Commissioner of Customs and CGST (Equivalent to) Deputy Secretary to Government of India|
|4||Selection Grade||Additional Commissioner of Customs and CGST (Equivalent to) Director to Government of India|
|5||Senior Administrative Grade||Commissioner of Customs and CGST/Additional Director General (Equivalent to) Joint Secretary to Government of India|
|6||Higher Administrative Grade||Principal Commissioner of Customs and CGST (Equivalent to) Additional Secretary to Government of India|
|7||Higher Administrative Grade +||Chief Commissioner of Customs and CGST /Director General (Equivalent to) Special Secretary to Government of India|
|8||Apex Scale||Principal Chief Commissioner of Customs and CGST/ Chairman/Member of CBIC. Director General of Central Economic Intelligence Bureau (Equivalent to) Secretary to Government of India|
- Directorate of Revenue Intelligence
- Directorate General of GST Intelligence
- Central Economic Intelligence Bureau
- Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU- India)
- Directorate General of Performance Management
- National Academy of Customs, Indirect Taxes & Narcotics (NACIN)
- Directorate General of Vigilance
- Directorate General of Audit
- Directorate General of Export Promotion
- Customs, Excise and Service Tax Appellate Tribunal
- Directorate General of Goods & Services Tax Intelligence
- Opium & Alkaloid Department
- Economic Intelligence Council
- Enforcement Directorate
- Central Bureau of Narcotics
Central Goods & Service Tax/Central Excise
- Collection of Goods & Service Tax and Central Excise Duty.
- Collection of Customs Duty on International Airports, Seaports, Custom Houses, International Air Cargo Stations & International ICD's.
- Collection of Customs Duty on Land Customs Station, Inland Container Depots (ICD's), Special Economic Zones (SEZ's) & Container Freight Stations (CFS's).
- Prevention of Smuggling on International Airports & Sea.
- Prevention of Smuggling through Land Customs Station & Border Check Points.
i am ultron ]