The Castleland ward covered an area of Barry southeast of the town centre including a large part of Barry Docks. Two county councillors were elected from the ward to the Vale of Glamorgan Council and two town councillors to Barry Town Council.
In 2009 the ward was designated as a renewal zone, earmarked for improvements to housing and public spaces.
At the 1995 and 1999 county elections Castleland elected two Labour Party councillors. In 2004 the seats were taken by Plaid Cymru, though in May 2008 Castleland went against the trend of the rest of the county when Labour regained the two seats. Labour held both seats at the May 2012 county council elections and Plaid Cymru gained one back in May 2017.
|Labour||Pamela Drake *||480|
|Plaid Cymru||Millie Collins||453|
|Plaid Cymru||Barry Shaw||450|
|Plaid Cymru gain from Labour||Swing|
- Local Councillors Archived 2018-07-14 at the Wayback Machine, Barry Town Council. Retrieved 10 May 2018.
- "Castleland - Key Stats". UKcensusdata.com. Retrieved 10 May 2018.
- "Barry's Castleland Ward is declared a "Renewal Area"". Barry & District News. 6 July 2009. Retrieved 10 May 2018.
- "Vale of Glamorgan Council Election Results 1995-2012" (PDF). The Elections Centre. Retrieved 10 May 2018.
- "Castleland ward bucks trend away from Labour". The Cowbridge Gem. 9 May 2008. Retrieved 10 May 2018.
- "Castleland - Declaration Of Results Of Poll (2017)" (PDF). Vale of Glamorgan Council. 5 May 2017. Retrieved 11 May 2018.