Colaiacovo with the St. Louis Blues in 2014.
January 27, 1983 |
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
|Height||6 ft 1 in (185 cm)|
|Weight||202 lb (92 kg; 14 st 6 lb)|
Toronto Maple Leafs
St. Louis Blues
Detroit Red Wings
|NHL Draft||17th overall, 2001
Toronto Maple Leafs
Carlo Colaiacovo (//; born January 27, 1983) is a Canadian professional ice hockey defenceman who is currently an unrestricted free agent. He most recently played for Adler Mannheim in the Deutsche Eishockey Liga (DEL). Colaiacovo has an identical twin brother, Paulo Colaiacovo, who has also played professional ice hockey, as a goaltender.
On January 23, 2006, Colaiacovo missed a hipcheck on Václav Varaďa in a game against the Ottawa Senators, smashing head-first into the boards. He was taken off the ice on a stretcher. The injury was a major concussion, and he missed the end of the 2005–06 season. He was then sent to the Toronto Marlies, the Maple Leafs' American Hockey League (AHL), on a conditioning assignment.
Colaiacovo recovered fully from his concussion, but later injured his hand in his first game back into the Marlies lineup. On December 4, the Maple Leafs recalled Colaiacovo from the Marlies and on December 16, he scored his first goal of the season against the New York Rangers. Colaiacovo underwent arthroscopic knee surgery on April 29, 2007.
On November 24, 2008, Colaiacovo was traded by the Maple Leafs, along with Alexander Steen, to the St. Louis Blues in exchange for forward Lee Stempniak. Colaiacovo finished the 2008–09 season with 30 points between Toronto and St. Louis. In the 2009–10 season, he registered a career-high 32 points, finishing second among Blues defencemen. After the 2010–11 season, he joined Team Canada at the IIHF World Championship in Slovakia.
On September 12, 2012, Colaiacovo signed a two-year deal with the Detroit Red Wings. In his second game of the season, Colaiacovo suffered a shoulder injury that kept him out for 33 games. He made his home debut for the Red Wings on April 1, 2013, against the Colorado Avalanche. When asked about his feelings over his home debut, Colaiacovo replied, “I'm really looking forward to it. When I first signed here I said the Joe is one of my favorite rinks to play in. I haven't had that chance to do it in a Wings uniform. That's something that's going to keep the adrenaline going for me tonight."
On November 13, 2013, Colaiacovo agreed to a one-year, $550,000 deal to return to the St. Louis Blues as a free agent. The Blues added Colaiacovo after learning that defenceman Jordan Leopold would be out eight weeks due to hand surgery.
On July 3, 2015, Colaiacovo signed a one-year deal as a free agent with the Buffalo Sabres. He made 36 appearances for the Sabres in the 2015–16 season from the blueline, contributing with one goal and four assists.
On November 26, 2016, he belatedly signed as a free agent with Adler Mannheim of the Deutsche Eishockey Liga in Germany for the remainder of the 2016–17 season, embarking on his first overseas gig.
Colaiacovo's twin brother Paulo is a former professional hockey player, and his cousin, Matt Finn (born February 24, 1994), was selected by the Toronto Maple Leafs in the second round, 35th overall, of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. Calaiacovo is also a cousin with former NHL player Stuart Percy.
Regular season and playoffs
|2002–03||Toronto Maple Leafs||NHL||2||0||1||1||0||—||—||—||—||—|
|2003–04||Toronto Maple Leafs||NHL||2||0||1||1||2||—||—||—||—||—|
|2003–04||St. John's Maple Leafs||AHL||62||6||25||31||50||—||—||—||—||—|
|2004–05||St. John's Maple Leafs||AHL||49||4||20||24||59||5||0||1||1||2|
|2005–06||Toronto Maple Leafs||NHL||21||2||5||7||17||—||—||—||—||—|
|2006–07||Toronto Maple Leafs||NHL||48||8||9||17||22||—||—||—||—||—|
|2007–08||Toronto Maple Leafs||NHL||28||2||4||6||10||—||—||—||—||—|
|2008–09||Toronto Maple Leafs||NHL||10||0||1||1||6||—||—||—||—||—|
|2008–09||St. Louis Blues||NHL||63||3||26||29||29||4||0||0||0||2|
|2009–10||St. Louis Blues||NHL||67||7||25||32||60||—||—||—||—||—|
|2010–11||St. Louis Blues||NHL||65||6||20||26||23||—||—||—||—||—|
|2011–12||St. Louis Blues||NHL||64||2||17||19||22||7||0||3||3||16|
|2012–13||Detroit Red Wings||NHL||6||0||1||1||2||9||0||1||1||2|
|2012–13||Grand Rapids Griffins||AHL||2||0||0||0||0||—||—||—||—||—|
|2013–14||St. Louis Blues||NHL||25||1||3||4||18||—||—||—||—||—|
|World Junior Championships|
|2002 Czech Republic|
Awards and honours
|CHL Top Prospects Game||2001|
|West Best Defensive Defenceman||2001|
|Second All-Star Team||2002, 2003|
|WJC First All-Star Team||2003|
- "Leafs' defenseman Colaiacovo suffers concussion". ESPN. Associated Press. January 24, 2006. Archived from the original on November 5, 2014. Retrieved November 5, 2014.
- "Marlies Edge Rivermen 4-3 at Ricoh". marlies.ca. October 22, 2006. Archived from the original on November 5, 2014. Retrieved November 5, 2014.
- "2006 Maple Leafs Transactions". NHL. Retrieved November 5, 2014.
- "Toronto Scores Nine Goals to Halt Rangers' Win Streak". The New York Times. Associated Press. December 17, 2006. Archived from the original on November 5, 2014. Retrieved November 5, 2014.
- "Leafs' Colaiacovo undergoes knee surgery". TSN.ca. 2007-04-30. Archived from the original on 2007-05-03. Retrieved 2007-05-01.
- "Leafs acquire winger Stempniak from Blues". TSN.ca. 2008-11-24. Archived from the original on 2014-11-05. Retrieved 2014-11-05.
- "Leafs trade Steen, Colaiacovo". sportsnet.ca. 2008-11-24. Archived from the original on 2014-11-06. Retrieved 2008-11-24.
- Khan, Ansar (2012-09-12). "Red Wings continue talking to defenseman Carlo Colaiacovo about two-year deal". mlive.com. Archived from the original on 2012-09-17. Retrieved 2014-11-05.
- "2009–2010 Regular Season Stats". blues.nhl.com. Archived from the original on 2014-11-06. Retrieved 2014-11-05.
- "Red Wings sign Defenseman Colaiacovo". National Hockey League. 2012-09-12. Retrieved 2012-09-12.
- Roose, Bill (2013-04-01). "Colaiacovo's excited for home debut". Detroit Red Wings. Retrieved 2014-11-05.
- St. James, Helene (2013-07-03). "Red Wings to buy out Carlo Colaiacovo". USA Today. Retrieved 2014-11-05.
- Roose, Bill (2013-07-03). "Wings to use buyout on Colaiacovo". Detroit Red Wings. Archived from the original on 2013-07-06. Retrieved 2014-11-05.
- Halford, Mike (2013-11-14). "Blues make Colaiacovo deal official: one year, $550,000". NBC Sports. Archived from the original on 2014-11-06. Retrieved 2014-11-05.
- Korac, Louie (2013-11-26). "Depth paying off for Blues on 'D'". In the Slot. Archived from the original on 2014-11-06. Retrieved 2014-11-05.
- "Flyers sign D Carlo Colaiacovo". Philadelphia Flyers. October 30, 2014. Archived from the original on 2014-10-31. Retrieved October 31, 2014.
- "Signing with Flyers 'a great opportunity' for Colaiacovo". CSN Philadelphia. October 31, 2014. Archived from the original on April 2, 2015. Retrieved March 9, 2015.
- "Colaiacovo signs one-year contract with Sabres". Buffalo Sabres. 2015-07-03. Retrieved 2015-07-03.
- "ADLER Mannheim". www.adler-mannheim.de. Archived from the original on 2016-11-26. Retrieved 2016-11-26.
- "Matt Finn Profile - Elite Prospects". eliteprospects.com. Retrieved 2014-11-05.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Carlo Colaiacovo.|
- Biographical information and career statistics from NHL.com, or Eliteprospects.com, or ESPN.com, or Hockey-Reference.com, or The Internet Hockey Database
- Yahoo Sports
|Awards and achievements|
|Toronto Maple Leafs first round draft pick