Captain is a title for the commander of a military unit, the commander of a ship, airplane, spacecraft, or other vessel, or the commander of a port, fire department or police department, election precinct, etc. Captain is a military rank in armies, navies, coast guards, etc., typically at the level of an officer commanding a company of infantry, a ship, or a battery of artillery, or similar distinct unit. The terms also may be used as an informal or honorary title for persons in similar commanding roles.
The term "captain" derives from katepánō (Greek: κατεπάνω, lit. "[the one] placed at the top", or "the topmost") which was used as title for a senior Byzantine military rank and office. The word was Latinized as capetanus/catepan, and its meaning seems to have merged with that of the late Latin "capitaneus" (which derives from the classical Latin word "caput", meaning head). This hybridized term gave rise to the English language term captain and its equivalents in other languages (Capitan, Capitaine, Capitano, Capitão, Kapitan, Kapitän, Kapitein, Kapteeni, Kapten, kapitány, Kapudan Pasha, Kobtan, etc.).
Occupations or roles
- Captain (armed forces), a commissioned officer rank corresponding to the field commander of a company of soldiers usually, or that of a battery of an artillery battalion.
- Captain (naval), a commissioned officer rank in the navy.
- Captain (nautical), a licensed mariner who is legally in command of a ship or another type of vessel.
- Captain (airlines), senior person or officer usually and lawfully in charge of an aircraft; corresponding to the work condition of pilot in command.
- Fire captain, officer in a fire department
- Police captain, officer in a police organization
- Captain of industry, business leader
- Captain of the Port, harbour (UK) or Coast Guard (USA) post
- Precinct captain, political party's representative at an election precinct
- School captain, student elected or appointed to represent the school
- Captain Regent, head of state of San Marino
- Captain-major, colonial officer of a Portuguese possession
- Captain-commandant, a Belgian military rank
- Katepano, a senior Byzantine officer (and word from which "captain" derived)
- Kapudan Pasha
- Kapitan Cina
- Captal, a regional title in Southern France
- NATO OF-5 / US O-6
- Captain (naval)
- Captain at sea
- Captain of sea and war
- Captain (Canadian naval rank)
- Captain (Royal Navy) (British)
- Captain (United States O-6)
- NATO OF-2 / US O-3
- United Kingdom
Captain is a rank in the British Armed Forces used by two separate rank grades:
- Captain (United States)
- other captain grades
- Captain (sports)
- Chief executive officer
- Captain (disambiguation)
- Capitaine (disambiguation)
- Capitan (disambiguation)
- El Capitan (disambiguation), Spanish for "The Captain"
- Kapitan (disambiguation)
| This article includes a list of related items that share the same name (or similar names).
If an internal link incorrectly led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.