Gaunce with the Lake Erie Monsters.
March 19, 1990|
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
|Height||6 ft 1 in (185 cm)|
|Weight||203 lb (92 kg; 14 st 7 lb)|
|NHL team (P)|
Tampa Bay Lightning|
Syracuse Crunch (AHL)
50th overall, 2008|
Cameron Gaunce (born March 19, 1990) is a Canadian professional ice hockey defenceman currently playing within the Tampa Bay Lightning organization of the National Hockey League (NHL). Gaunce was selected by Colorado Avalanche in the second round, 50th overall, of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
Gaunce grew up in Markham, Ontario, playing minor ice hockey with the Ontario Minor Hockey Association (OMHA) Markham Waxers, where he was a teammate of Steven Stamkos, Michael Del Zotto and Cody Hodgson. He played in the 2003 Quebec International Pee-Wee Hockey Tournament with Markham. He was selected 50th overall by the Colorado Avalanche in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft. Gaunce played with the Mississauga St. Michael's Majors of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) for three seasons, and on May 11, 2009, he signed a three-year, entry-level contract with the Avalanche and attended the 2009 Avalanche's training camp before returning for his final year with the Majors in the 2009–10 season.
In his first professional season, in 2010–11, Gaunce was assigned to Colorado's American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate, the Lake Erie Monsters. After 54 games with the Monsters, he was called-up to the NHL and made his NHL debut in Colorado's 5–3 defeat against the Nashville Predators on February 12, 2011. In his third game with the Avalanche, he scored his first NHL goal and point against Marc-André Fleury and the Pittsburgh Penguins in a 3–2 loss on February 16.
During the 2012–13 season, while playing with the Monsters and in the final year of his entry-level contract, on April 2, 2013, Gaunce was traded to the Dallas Stars in exchange for Tomáš Vincour. On December 17, 2013, Gaunce was called-up to the Stars.
On July 1, 2015, after he was not tendered a qualifying offer to remain with the Stars, Gaunce signed as a free agent to a one-year, two-way contract with the Florida Panthers. Gaunce was assigned to add leadership to Florida's AHL affiliate, the Portland Pirates, for the duration of the 2015–16 season. He responded by setting career-high numbers offensively with 37 points in 75 games.
On July 1, 2016, as a free agent, Gaunce signed a one-year, two-way contract with the Pittsburgh Penguins. In the 2016–17 season, he began playing in the AHL with the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. With Pittsburgh suffering a depleted blueline through injury, Gaunce was recalled and eclipsed his previous efforts in the NHL to record a career-high 1 goal and 4 points in 12 games.
On July 1, 2017, as a free agent for the third straight year, Gaunce signed a two-year, two-way contract with the Columbus Blue Jackets. In the 2017–18 season, after attending the Blue Jackets' training camp, Gaunce was reassigned to Columbus' AHL affiliate, the Cleveland Monsters. In making his return to his first professional club in the Monsters, Gaunce added a veteran presence on the blueline and led the defence in scoring with 21 assists and 24 points.
Gaunce's younger brother Brendan currently plays as a left winger for the Boston Bruins. Brendan, who was selected second overall by the Belleville Bulls in the 2010 OHL Priority Selection, was selected in the first round, 26th overall, by the Canucks in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
|2007–08||Mississauga St. Michael's Majors||OHL||63||10||30||40||99||4||0||1||1||6|
|2008–09||Mississauga St. Michael's Majors||OHL||67||17||47||64||110||11||4||6||10||20|
|2009–10||Mississauga St. Michael's Majors||OHL||55||6||31||37||112||16||0||13||13||34|
|2010–11||Lake Erie Monsters||AHL||61||2||20||22||84||—||—||—||—||—|
|2011–12||Lake Erie Monsters||AHL||75||6||21||27||90||—||—||—||—||—|
|2012–13||Lake Erie Monsters||AHL||61||1||10||11||98||—||—||—||—||—|
|2018–19||Tampa Bay Lightning||NHL||2||0||0||0||7||—||—||—||—||—|
Awards and honours
|Calder Cup (Texas Stars)||2014|
- "Pee-Wee players who have reached NHL or WHA" (PDF). Quebec International Pee-Wee Hockey Tournament. 2018. Retrieved February 16, 2019.
- "Avalanche signs Gaunce". Colorado Avalanche. May 11, 2009. Retrieved October 5, 2010.
- "Markham's Gaunce makes NHL debut with Colorado". York Region. February 14, 2011. Retrieved February 22, 2011.
- "Pens prevail in OT, deal Avalanche ninth loss in row". CBS Sports. February 16, 2011. Retrieved February 22, 2011.
- "Stars acquire Gaunce from Avalanche for Vincour". Dallas Stars. April 2, 2013. Retrieved April 2, 2013.
- "Dallas Stars place Vernon Fiddler on IR; Recall Cameron Gaunce from Texas Stars". NHL.com.
- "Florida Panthers agree to terms with Cameron Gaunce and Brent Regner". Florida Panthers. July 1, 2015. Retrieved July 1, 2015.
- "Penguins sign defenseman Cameron Gaunce". Pittsburgh Penguins. July 1, 2016. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
- "Blue Jackets sign Cameron Gaunce to two-year, two-way contract". Sportsnet.ca. July 1, 2017. Retrieved July 1, 2017.
- "Lightning sign defenseman Cameron Gaunce". Tampa Bay Lightning. July 1, 2018. Retrieved July 1, 2018.
- "2012 Draft ranking finals". International Scouting Services. June 20, 2012. Archived from the original on October 5, 2012. Retrieved July 2, 2012.