Map of Los Angeles County in southern California with SR 213 highlighted in red
|Defined by Streets and Highways Code § 513|
|Maintained by Caltrans|
|Length||7.984 mi (12.849 km)|
|South end||25th Street in San Pedro|
|North end||Carson Street in Torrance (Caltrans/State maintenance)|
State Route 213 (SR 213) is a state highway in the U.S. state of California, in Los Angeles County. The California State Legislature has designated the route as Western Avenue from 25th Street in San Pedro north to the San Diego Freeway (Interstate 405) in Torrance. From 25th Street to Carson Street, the California Transportation Commission has officially adopted Western Avenue as a state highway. The northerly two miles from Carson Street to Interstate 405 has not yet been adopted and remains a city street. Beyond Interstate 405, Western Avenue, continues through Torrance, Gardena, and Los Angeles to Los Feliz Boulevard in Hollywood as a city street.
The signed southern terminus of SR 213 begins at the intersection of Western Avenue with Paseo del Mar at Royal Palms County Beach next to the Pacific Ocean. From here, SR 213 follows Western Avenue northeast along the edge of White Point Park to its intersection with 25th Street, where the legal definition of SR 213 begins. The route continues through San Pedro before briefly entering Rancho Palos Verdes and passing by a naval reservation. Western Avenue then enters Lomita before returning to the Los Angeles city limits in the community of Harbor City. SR 213 intersects with SR 1 before forming the eastern boundary of the city of Torrance and the western boundary of Harbor Gateway. SR 213 intersects with Carson Street and meets its legislative northern terminus; however, SR 213 is signed for a few more miles north to I-405, where the signage ends.
Route 291 was defined by the California State Legislature as a highway from 25th Street in San Pedro to Route 158, along Western Avenue. The route was redesignated as SR 213 in the 1964 state highway renumbering from 25th Street to I-405.
Except where prefixed with a letter, postmiles were measured on the road as it was in 1964, based on the alignment that existed at the time, and do not necessarily reflect current mileage. R reflects a realignment in the route since then, M indicates a second realignment, L refers an overlap due to a correction or change, and T indicates postmiles classified as temporary (for a full list of prefixes, see the list of postmile definitions). Segments that remain unconstructed or have been relinquished to local control may be omitted. The entire route is in Los Angeles County.
|San Pedro||0.00||Western Avenue||Continuation beyond 25th Street|
|0.00||25th Street||South end of SR 213|
|Lomita||4.31||Palos Verdes Drive North|
|Los Angeles||5.09||SR 1 (Pacific Coast Highway) – Long Beach, Santa Monica|
|Los Angeles–Torrance line||7.00||Sepulveda Boulevard|
|7.98||Carson Street||North end of state maintenance SR 213|
|9.98[a]||I-405||North end of the legislative definition of SR 213|
|9.98[a]||Western Avenue||Continuation beyond I-405|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
- Segment has not been adopted yet and remains a city street.
- California Department of Transportation. "State Truck Route List". Sacramento: California Department of Transportation. Archived from the original (XLS file) on June 30, 2015. Retrieved June 30, 2015.
- "State Route 213". Daniel P. Faigin. Retrieved February 2, 2019.
- Los Angeles County Road Atlas (Map). Thomas Brothers. 2008.
- Federal Highway Administration (March 25, 2015). National Highway System: Los Angeles, CA (PDF) (Map). Scale not given. Washington, DC: Federal Highway Administration. Retrieved September 13, 2017.
- Natzke, Stefan; Neathery, Mike & Adderly, Kevin (June 20, 2012). "What is the National Highway System?". National Highway System. Washington, DC: Federal Highway Administration. Retrieved July 1, 2012.
- California State Assembly. "1961 Session of the Legislature". 1961 Session of the Legislature. Statutes of California. State of California. Ch. 1838.
- California State Assembly. "1963 Session of the Legislature". 1963 Session of the Legislature. Statutes of California. State of California. Ch. 1729.
- "California Streets & Highways Code § 513". California Office of Legislative Counsel. Retrieved January 1, 2019.
- California Department of Transportation (July 2007). "Log of Bridges on State Highways". Sacramento: California Department of Transportation.
- California Department of Transportation, All Traffic Volumes on CSHS, 2005 and 2006
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to California State Route 213.|