Brookfield Township, Trumbull County, Ohio
The village green at Brookfield Center
Location of Brookfield Township in Trumbull County
|• Total||24.7 sq mi (63.9 km2)|
|• Land||24.6 sq mi (63.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||1,063 ft (324 m)|
|• Density||407.4/sq mi (157.3/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|Area code(s)||330, 234|
|GNIS feature ID||1087026|
Brookfield Township is one of the twenty-four townships of Trumbull County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 10,020 people in the township, 9,921 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the Southeastern part of the county, it borders the following townships and city:
- Hartford Township - north
- South Pymatuning Township, Mercer County, Pennsylvania - northeast
- Hermitage, Pennsylvania - east
- Hubbard Township - south
- Liberty Township - southwest corner
- Vienna Township - west
- Fowler Township - northwest corner
Name and history
Statewide, the only other Brookfield Township is located in Noble County.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
Brookfield has a public library, a branch of the Warren-Trumbull County Public Library.
Public education in the township is managed by Brookfield Local School District, which operates three schools:
- Brookfield Elementary School
- Brookfield Middle School
- Brookfield High School
All three schools are housed in a K-12 complex that held its first classes during the 2011-2012 academic year. As of the 2016-2017 academic year, 1,000 pupils attend the school district with a student-teacher ratio of 17:1.
The township is served by several AM radio stations, such as WLOA (1470 AM) (Farrell, PA), WPIC (790 AM) (Sharon, PA), WKBN (570 AM) (Youngstown, OH), and by several FM radio stations such as WYFM/"Y-103" (102.9 FM) (Yankee Lake, OH), WLLF/"The River" (96.7 FM) (Mercer, PA), WYLE/"Willie 95.1" (95.1 FM) (Grove City, PA), WMXY/"Mix 98.9" (98.9 FM) (Youngstown, OH) and WWIZ/"Z-104" (West Middlesex, PA), because of Brookfield's unique position along the Pennsylvania/Ohio border..
Brookfield Township is served by News on the Green, a monthly publication that focuses Brookfield, Yankee Lake, and Masury, The Herald (Sharon, PA), The Vindicator (Youngstown, OH), and the Tribune Chronicle (Youngstown, OH).
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Trumbull County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates[permanent dead link] Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
- "Locations". Warren-Trumbull County Public Library. Retrieved 3 March 2018.
- "District Detail for Brookfield Local". nces.ed.gov. Retrieved 2019-02-09.
- Yankee Run Golf Course
- "Yankee Run Awards & Accolades". Yankee Run Golf Course. Yankee Run Golf Course. Retrieved 30 April 2016.