|Genres||Indie rock, folk rock|
Boygenius (stylized in all lowercase) is an indie rock group formed in 2018 by American musicians Julien Baker, Phoebe Bridgers, and Lucy Dacus. Their self-titled debut EP Boygenius was written and recorded in four days at Sound City Studios in Los Angeles.
As three up and coming indie musicians, the three members of the band began communicating through the internet and texts. They swapped musical ideas and ended up touring together. Although Baker had toured with Dacus and Bridgers individually, they had not completed a tour as a trio. After they arranged for this group tour, they decided to create an EP under the name Boygenius.
The group has been very vocal about the origins of the band name. They cite past experience with overly confident men who have been given titles like 'genius' and used the confidence they had seen from them to be bold when creating their EP.
- Boygenius (2018)
- "A Conversation with Boygenius Gets Weird".
- "Julien Baker, Phoebe Bridgers and Lucy Dacus Formed an Indie-Rock Supergroup".
- "Introducing boygenius, a Supergroup of Indie-Rock Cool Girls".
- Mapes, Jillian (October 18, 2018). "boygenius Are the Egoless Supergroup of Your Indie Rock Dreams". Pitchfork. Retrieved January 27, 2019.
- Battan, Carrie. "Boygenius Is Driven by the Spirit of Solidarity". The New Yorker (November 12, 2018 ed.). Retrieved January 27, 2019.
- Battan, Carrie (12 November 2018). "Confidence Game". New Yorker. 94: 88–89.
- Hughes, Hilary (10 November 2018). "Forming An Indie Alliance". Billboard. 130: 42–42.
- Horn, Olivia (31 December 2018). "Anywhere I Go". Nation. 307: 37–37.
|This article on a United States indie rock band is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|