Boulder Public Library main branch at night
|Country||United States of America|
|Location||1001 Arapahoe Avenue, Boulder, CO 80302|
|Access and use|
|References: BPL Annual Report 2012|
The Boulder Public Library is the public library of Boulder, Colorado in the United States. The main branch and the Carnegie Branch Library for Local History are located in downtown Boulder, while the George Reynolds and Meadows Branches are in south Boulder.
The Boulder Public Library was originally housed in the Carnegie library on Pine Street, built in 1906, before moving to its present location on Canyon Boulevard in 1961. The original 1906 library was initially built with $15,000 donated by Andrew Carnegie. When the library moved to its present location, the architect selection committee selected James M. Hunter and Associates to execute the new design and construction of the new building. It was to be a two-story building of 23,800 square feet, with sculpture galleries, reading rooms, gathering spaces, video viewing rooms, and music listening rooms. On November 4th, 1959 the City Council voted to provide bonds of $450,000 to fund design and construction. The final cost of the building was $486,437.19. The library was dedicated on November 12th, 1961.
Collection and circulation
The Boulder Public Library system comprises four branches. The main branch is in downtown Boulder near Boulder Creek with an area of 92,164 square feet (8,562.3 m2). An enclosed walkway spans the creek between the two library sections. The Carnegie Branch Library for Local History is also located in downtown Boulder with an area of 4,000 square feet (370 m2). This branch focuses on the history of Boulder and the surrounding area. The George Reynolds and Meadows branches are in south Boulder, with areas of 9,680 square feet (899 m2) and 7,800 square feet (720 m2) respectively.
Renovations funded by municipal bonds are planned to begin in January 2014. The renovations will cover expansion and repairs to the main branch, and address aging electrical and data wiring. The renovations will also expand other areas of the library and address other repairs. The renovations will be funded by $2.45 million in municipal bonds, approved as part of a larger bond initiative by Boulder voters in a 2011 referendum.
- "City of Boulder Library & Arts 2012 Annual Report" (PDF). 2012. Archived from the original (PDF) on August 6, 2013. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "Our History". Boulder Library. Archived from the original on December 2, 2013. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "Boulder Public Library - 1961 Construction". Celsus: A Library Architectural Resource. Retrieved 30 May 2018.
- Meltzer, Erica (14 November 2013). "Boulder council meetings move--briefly--to library". Boulder Daily Camera. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
- "Locations & Hours". Boulder Public Library. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- "Square Footage" (PDF). Colorado Public Library Statistics. Library Research Service. 2001. Retrieved 25 May 2015.
- Meltzer, Erica (28 May 2013). "Boulder Public Library holds final renovation design meeting Wednesday". Boulder Daily Camera. Retrieved 18 November 2013.