January 11, 1959
|Marvel mutant titles|
Nick Fury vs. S.H.I.E.L.D.
Robert "Bob" Harras (born January 11, 1959) is an American comics writer and editor, who was editor-in-chief of Marvel Comics from 1995 to 2000 and currently serves as editor-in-chief of DC Comics.
Harras started his career at Marvel as assistant editor for Ralph Macchio, where he worked on such titles as The Saga of Crystar, Dazzler, ROM, U.S. 1, and Micronauts. Later, Harras was chief editor of Marvel's X-Men and Midnight Sons lines. Harras also worked as writer on a number of comics, including a run on The Avengers lasting from 1992 to 1995, and the best-selling 1988 limited series Nick Fury vs. S.H.I.E.L.D. His brief run on Namor, the Sub-Mariner in 1992-93 was unique for the time, taking the form of a mostly standalone Tolkienesque epic.
Harras's tenure as editor-in-chief occurred during the time which Marvel teetered on bankruptcy around 1996 and 1997 (financial trouble became significantly worse during his time at Marvel). During his tenure, Harras oversaw titles such as Captain America, Daredevil, Ka-Zar and Deadpool.
However, the Spider-Man "Clone Saga", in which Norman Osborn was brought back as the Green Goblin despite the opposition of many of the writers, received enough negative reception that it overshadowed his critical successes.
After leaving Marvel, Harras joined WildStorm as contributing editor on November 15, 2001. Harras worked from his New Jersey home office, and reported to Jim Lee, WildStorm's editorial director. Until late September 2010, he was the group editor for DC Comics collected editions and editor of DC's new Who's Who series.
On September 27, 2010, DC Comics named Bob Harras as the company's new editor-in-chief and Vice President. Harras oversees editorial for all DC Comics, DC Universe, MAD Magazine and Vertigo publications. He became DC's first Editor-in-Chief after Jenette Kahn, who had held the position in 1989-2002.
- Comics Buyer's Guide #1650; February 2009; Page 107
- Miller, John Jackson (June 10, 2005). "Comics Industry Birthdays". Comics Buyer's Guide. Archived from the original on February 18, 2011.
- "Bullpen Bulletins," Marvel comics cover-dated February 1984.
- Shooter, Jim. "Bullpen Bulletins," Marvel comics cover-dated November 1983.
- Zimmerman, Dwight Jon (November 1988). "Bob Harras". Comics Interview (62). Fictioneer Books. p. 13.
- Lantz, James Heath (September 2016). "Prince Namor the Sub-Mariner: Scion of the Deep or Royal Pain?". Back Issue!. Raleigh, North Carolina: TwoMorrows Publishing (91): 59–60.
- GrayHaven Magazine.
- The Week in Review Archived October 7, 2010, at the Wayback Machine. BobGreenberger.com (2010-03-07). Retrieved on September 9, 2011.
- "Robert Harras Named Editor-in-Chief, VP DC Comics". dcu.blog.dccomics.com. Archived from the original on September 30, 2010. Retrieved September 27, 2010.
- Bob Harras at the Comic Book DB
| Marvel Comics Editor-in-Chief
| Avengers writer
| Avengers writer
(with Terry Kavanagh in 1995–1996)
| Justice League of America writer