Carroll was best known for his contributions to American football research. He was the founder and executive director of the Professional Football Researchers Association (PFRA), and edited the group's newsletter, The Coffin Corner, until his death in 2009. He was co-author of The Hidden Game of Football (with John Thorn and Pete Palmer), as well as Total Football: The Official Encyclopedia of the National Football League.
Carroll was the author of more than twenty books, most notably Pro Football: When the Grass Was Real and Baseball Between the Lies. His non-sports books included The Importance of Napoleon and The Battle of Stalingrad.
- "BOB CARROLL TRIBUTE - PFRA | PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL RESEARCHERS ASSOCIATION". www.profootballresearchers.org.
- TheTorch, Honor Warren Wells. "A Tribute To Bob Carroll, a Superb NFL Historian". Bleacher Report.
- Richmond, Shane (February 14, 2019). "Review: The Hidden Game of Football by Bob Carroll, Pete Palmer & John Thorn". PIGSKIN BOOKS.
- Bob Carroll's blog (latest post January 13, 2007)
- Obituary in Pittsburgh Tribune Review[dead link]
- Bob Carroll at Library of Congress Authorities, with 14 catalog records
|This article about a sportswriter from the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of an American historian is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|