This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (September 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Founded||Herning, Denmark; 1952|
|Founder||Jens Ærthøj and Tage Mølholm|
Number of locations
|Approximately 265 world-wide|
BoConcept is a Danish retail furniture chain with more than 265 stores in over 60 countries around the world. The first BoConcept Brand Store opened in Paris in 1993, but from 2006 and onwards, all furniture is sold through franchisees. BoConcept specializes in customizable modern furniture and accessories designed by international designers.
The company was founded in 1952 by two Danish craftsmen and cabinet makers, Jens Ærthøj and Tage Mølholm. The first pieces of furniture to leave the factory were cabinets made of oak veneer with a mid-section of walnut. In 1954, the owners and the four employees moved into their new furniture factory 'Ærthøj-Jensen and Mølholm Møbelfabrik'. The functionalism sweeping through Danish design during the 50s played an important influence on the designs from Ærthøj-Jensen and Mølholm. As industrial pioneers of their time, the founders in 1962 opened a new 1300m2 factory in Herning where the company is still located.
In 1976, the company changed its name to Denka with a view to conquer the international markets. The collections were now also designed to suit the individual tastes of different markets, and the furniture were now what you can all 'customized to the market'. The customization of furniture to the individual customer is still an important part of the business model. BoConcept employs interior designers to help customers create their own individual furniture and interior solutions. The company was introduced on the Copenhagen Stock Exchange in 1984 and has been owned by 3i, a leading international investor, since 2016.
BoConcept offers customized, coordinated and affordable design furniture and accessories, collaborating with a wide range of designers in creating the products. Interior design service is a big part of the BoConcept shopping experience, as customers can book a home visit and get advice on how to get the most out of their new interiors including 3D drawings and style tips.
- 2017: The Good Design Award for the Ottawa sofa by Karim Rashid
- 2016: The Diploma of the Danish Export Association & HRH Prince Henrik’s Medal of Honor to franchisee Pablo Sardi
- 2013: The Red Dot Award for the Ottawa collection by Karim Rashid
- 2008: The Red Dot Award for the One chair
- 2007: Danish Franchisee Award
- "The history". www.boconcept.com. Retrieved January 16, 2018.
- Palmer, Kate (July 6, 2016). "3i buys Danish furniture retailer BoConcept in £166m deal". The Telegraph. ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved January 16, 2018.
- "Book your personal interior designer from BoConcept". www.boconcept.com. Retrieved January 16, 2018.
- "BoConcept Now Offering Free Interior Design Services | The Luxury Spot". The Luxury Spot. February 26, 2016. Archived from the original on July 28, 2016. Retrieved October 12, 2019.
- "Customisable furniture design from BoConcept". www.boconcept.com. Retrieved January 16, 2018.
- "Karim Rashid and the Ottawa Sofa Succeed in the Good Design Awards - Gazzetta Hédoné". gazzettahedone.mx. Retrieved January 16, 2018.
- "Recipients of the award". www.dk-export.dk (in Danish). Retrieved January 16, 2018.
- "BoConcept's Ottawa Collection wins Red Dot Award - Capital Lifestyle". Capital Lifestyle. May 13, 2013. Retrieved January 16, 2018.
- "BoConcept's sleek chair wins prestigious red dot award". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved January 16, 2018.
- "Retail furniture chain BoConcept wins Danish Franchise Award 2007 - Invest in Denmark". www.investindk.com. Archived from the original on January 16, 2018. Retrieved January 16, 2018.