|Founded||3 September 1998|
|Headquarters||Fiumicino, Rome, Italy|
|Key people||Giancarlo Zeni, CEO|
Blue Panorama Airlines S.p.A. is an Italian airline headquartered in Fiumicino operating scheduled and charter flights from Italy – especially Rome-Fiumicino and Milan-Malpensa – to various international destinations. Blu-express is the brand name for low-cost short and medium range flights operated by Blue Panorama. Additional business charter flights are operated under the name Executive Blue.
Blue Panorama is a private Italian airline operating intercontinental, international, and national charter and scheduled flights. It was founded in Rome in 1998 by Franco Pecci, and has been an IATA member since 2002 (IATA code BV). Since 2005, Blue Panorama Airlines' Boeing 737 fleet has operated national and international flights for the Blu-Express low-cost division.
In January 2012, Alitalia declared interest in a merger with Blue Panorama, as well as with Wind Jet, another Italian airline. In April 2012 Alitalia decided not to proceed with the acquisitions. In October 2012, Blue Panorama entered bankruptcy protection. This license gave the airline the ability to restructure itself. On 25 November 2013, Blu-express started flights from Italy to Tirana International Airport Nënë Tereza after Belle Air ceased operations there.
In January 2014, Blue Panorama Airlines requested to be admitted to extraordinary administration procedure and the abandonment of the composition procedure in continuity. The management of the airline is left to the company's founder. Blue Panorama confirmed that company business and flights are fully operational.
Blue Panorama Airlines codeshares with the following airlines:
As of July 2019, the Blue Panorama fleet includes the following aircraft:
|Airbus A330-200||—||3||—||—||—||To replace Boeing 767-300ERs|
In popular culture
- Blue Panorama Boeing 757-200 EI-DKL and Boeing 767-300ER appear in John Legend's music video for "Show Me".
Accidents and incidents
- On 16 July 2004, a Boeing 767 operating as flight 1504 experienced an uncontained engine failure on takeoff from Rome-Fimucino Airport. The plane successfully returned after conducting an emergency landing. Further investigation revealed that a high pressure fuel hose leaked approximately 700 kilograms of fuel into the engine's nacelle during taxi, which later ignited upon takeoff.
- On September 22, 2018, a Blue Panorama Spanish pilot, Emilio Leone, was arrested by Albanian police as his colleagues reported him for trying to fly the aircraft intoxicated.
- On February 27, 2019, a Blue Panorama Boeing 737-400 departing from Tirana, Albania towards Ancona, Italy, returned to Tirana shortly after take-off after thick smoke was reported in the cabin. No passengers or crew were hurt in the incident.
Passengers' names accuracy
- For several years, it has been the policy of Blue Panorama Airlines to charge significant fees to passengers for minor name changes.
- With Italian names, most citizens only have a first name and a last name, but no middle names. Therefore, this charge for name changes primarily affects non-Italian passengers, who tend to omit writing their middle names when booking.
- In most airports where it operates, the company charges passengers €50 to €80 to have their middle names added on their boarding pass.
- On the contrary, most airlines allow passengers to travel if they omit to provide their middle names when booking. Also, they do not charge them to add middle names if that is necessary for legal or safety reasons.
- Numerous reports of inconsistencies with change fees suggest that this policy is biased in particular against U.S. citizens who are often charged more than €300 to revise the name on their ticket.
- "IATA - Airline and Airport Code Search". iata.org. Retrieved 11 April 2015.
- "Elenco delle imprese titolari di licenza di trasporto aereo". enac.gov.it. Archived from the original on 22 April 2015. Retrieved 11 April 2015.
- "Blue Panorama Airlines". Archived from the original on 2014-11-02. Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- "Blu Express - ch-aviation.com". ch-aviation. Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- fonte: Executive Blue web site[permanent dead link]
- "Profile on Blue Panorama Airlines - CAPA - Centre for Aviation". Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- IATA. "IATA - Current Airline Members". Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- "Blue Panorama Airlines". Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- UBM Information Ltd. 2015 (6 December 2012). "Blu Express to Start Rome – Moscow Service from April 2013". Routesonline. Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- Reed Business Information Limited. "Alitalia plans merger with Blue Panorama and Wind Jet". Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- "Alitalia to merge with Wind Jet and Blue Panorama Airlines". Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- "Airline merger The integration of Blue Panorama, Wind Jet and Alitalia - eTurboNews.com". Archived from the original on 24 September 2015. Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- "Alitalia, Blue Panorama and Wind Jet plan to merge". Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- "Alitalia moves ahead with a merger with Blue Panorama and Wind Jet". World Airline News. Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- "Alitalia plans merger with Blue Panorama and Wind Jet". Archived from the original on 25 September 2013. Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- "Integration of Wind Jet operations with Alitalia receives board approval". Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- "Avionews.com - Alitalia will integrate Wind Jet: operation approved". Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- "Italy's Blue Panorama enters bankruptcy protection". Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- N. Tchallabes. "volaspheric". Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- "Blue Panorama Airlines enters into bankruptcy protection and reorganization". World Airline News. Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- N. Tchallabes. "volaspheric". Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- "Blue Panorama applies for bankruptcy protection, continues operations". ch-aviation. Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- Osservatorio Balcani e Caucaso. "Albania, Belle Air stops flights". Osservatorio Balcani e Caucaso. Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- Business Traveller. "Belle Air ceases operations - Business Traveller". Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- "Avionews.com - Blue Panorama confirms business continuity and that its flights are fully operational". Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- "Blue Panorama Airlines enters administration, in negotiations with an 'international investor'". D.
- "Route Map". www.albawings.com. Retrieved 2018-11-16.
- "Blue Panorama Airlines Fleet Details and History". planespotters.net. 12 September 2018. Retrieved 12 September 2018.
- "Accident Boeing 767-3G5ER EI-CXO, 16 Jul 2004".
- Shqiptarja.com https://shqiptarja.com/lajm/ekskluzive-rinas-shmanget-tragjedia-ne-avionin-me-200-pasagjere-kapet-i-dehur-piloti-i-blue-panorama. Missing or empty
- "Fumo in cabina, aereo Blue Panorama Airlines diretto in Italia costretto a rientrare a Tirana". La Repubblica.it. 2019-02-27.
- "Another added fee: Airline required passenger to pay extra to add a middle name".
- "Blue Panorama Airlines Customer Reviews".
Media related to Blue Panorama Airlines at Wikimedia Commons