Flagship store in Midtown Manhattan (2019)
|Founders||Joseph B. Bloomingdale|
Lyman G. Bloomingdale
|Headquarters||59th Street and Lexington Avenue,|
Number of locations
|Tony Spring (chairman and CEO)|
Bloomingdale's Inc. is an American luxury department store chain; it was founded by Joseph B. and Lyman G. Bloomingdale in 1861. It became a division of the Cincinnati-based Federated Department Stores in 1930, through which it is affiliated with the Macy's department store chain; the holding company was renamed Macy's, Inc. in 2007. As of February, 2019, there are 35 full-line stores, 3 home, clearance and specialty stores and 17 outlet stores with the Bloomingdale's nameplate in operation throughout the United States. Its headquarters and flagship store are located at 59th Street and Lexington Avenue in the New York City borough of Manhattan.
On February 14, 2008, parent company, Macy's, Inc., announced plans to enter the Phoenix market with a 180,000 square foot store by 2009. Arizona would have been the thirteenth state to have a Bloomingdale's store location, with this store being the tenth in the western U.S. and 41st throughout the chain.
On September 10, 2008, Bloomingdale's announced plans to open three stores, two of which will be modeled after the SoHo store: a 3-level, 82,000-square-foot (7,600 m2) anchor store at The Shops at Georgetown Park in Washington, D.C., by August 2011, a 3-level 150,000 sq ft (14,000 m2) store at Westfield Valley Fair in San Jose, California, by Fall 2011, and a 205,000 sq ft (19,000 m2) store in Santa Monica Place, in Santa Monica, CA (which opened on August 6, 2010). The store is reported to be modeled after the chain's concept store in New York's SoHo neighborhood to carry select contemporary men's and women's apparel.
Twelve days later the first proposed overseas locations for the chain were announced. A September 22, 2008, press release from Macy's, Inc.,told of plans for two Bloomingdale's locations (a three-level 146,000 sq ft (13,600 m2) apparel and accessories store, as well as a separate one level 54,000 sq ft (5,000 m2) home store) to open in February 2010 in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. As is the case for rival Saks Fifth Avenue, the international presence for Bloomingdale's will be operated under license by a local interest — in this case, Al Tayer Group LLC, a leading UAE-based conglomerate. Bloomingdale's CEO announced that the Dubai store will most likely be the only store outside of the US since Bloomingdale's has no further plans to expand to other countries.
On January 4, 2012, Bloomingdale's announced it would close four stores. The most significant closure was at the Mall of America in Bloomington, Minnesota, where Bloomingdale's was one of the mall's first anchors. Additionally, a home store at Oakbrook Center in Oak Brook, Illinois, and full line stores in Perimeter Mall in Dunwoody, Georgia, and at White Flint Mall in North Bethesda, Maryland, have closed their doors.
Bloomingdale's announced that they had replaced the Bloomingdale's store of 229,000 sq ft (21,300 m2) in Stanford Shopping Center in Palo Alto, California, with a new 120,000 sq ft (11,000 m2) store. The store opened in 2014.
On November 12, 2015, Bloomingdale's opened up their very first store in Hawaii at Ala Moana Center in Honolulu, Hawaii. The three-story, 165,000 sq ft (15,300 m2) store replaced a former Sears, and includes special services, such as smart fitting rooms, charging lounges and dining services at its 40 Carrots restaurant.
In late 2019, Bloomingdale's announced that fur will no longer be sold in any of its stores, including The Outlet, as of 2021.
Exterior of Bloomingdale's Boca Raton
- California: 9
- Florida: 5
- Georgia: 1
- Illinois: 3
- Maryland: 1
- Massachusetts: 2
- New Jersey: 4
- New York: 5
- Pennsylvania: 2
- Virginia: 1
- Hawaii: 1
- United Arab Emirates:1
- Connecticut: 1
- "Store Count and Square Footage", Macy's Inc.
- "History of Federated Department Stores, Inc."
- "Bloomingdale Plans Cuts". The New York Times. June 6, 1990. Retrieved August 7, 2007.
- "Bloomingdale's to Open First Store in Phoenix". Macy's, Inc. February 14, 2008. Retrieved March 4, 2008.
- "Bloomingdale's to Open in Dubai in 2010". Macy's, Inc. September 22, 2008. Retrieved September 26, 2008.
- Lancsak, Angelika. "Bloomingdale's Dubai likely to be only one outside US - CEO - Retail". ArabianBusiness.com. Archived from the original on February 3, 2010. Retrieved August 13, 2012.
- "MarketWatch.com". MarketWatch.com. Retrieved August 13, 2012.
- "Glendale Galleria Announces Bloomingdale's Department Store - CHICAGO, Nov. 3, 2011 /PRNewswire/". Illinois: Prnewswire.com. Retrieved August 13, 2012.
- Zackie Binkes. "Bloomingdale's store closing at Fashion Show mall". Vegas Inc. Retrieved February 8, 2014.
- "Bloomingdale's building a smaller Palo Alto store". Palo Alto Online. Retrieved August 13, 2012.
- Moriki, Darin (June 30, 2015). "Hawaii's first Bloomingdale's to open in November at Ala Moana Center". Pacific Business News.
- Leticia Miranda, "Macy's, Bloomingdale's to stop selling fur," NBC News, 22 October 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bloomingdale's.|