Bloom Township, Scioto County, Ohio
Road scene in Scioto Furnace
Location of Bloom Township in Scioto County
|• Total||48.7 sq mi (126.2 km2)|
|• Land||48.7 sq mi (126.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||810 ft (247 m)|
|• Density||66/sq mi (26/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086922|
Bloom Township is one of the sixteen townships of Scioto County, Ohio, United States. The population at the 2010 census was 3,235, out of which 2,369 people resided in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the far east of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Hamilton Township, Jackson County - north
- Jefferson Township, Jackson County - northeast
- Washington Township, Lawrence County - east
- Decatur Township, Lawrence County - southeast
- Vernon Township - south
- Porter Township - southwest corner
- Harrison Township - west
- Madison Township - northwest
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Bloom township, Scioto County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved March 29, 2012.
- "Portsmouth Area Resource Guide, 2007-2008". The Community Common. 2007-07-29. p. 6.
- Bannon, Henry Towne (1927). Stories Old and Often Told, Being Chronicles of Scioto County, Ohio. Baltimore: Waverly Press. p. 273.
- Kilbourn, John (1833). "The Ohio Gazetteer, or, a Topographical Dictionary". Scott and Wright. p. 99. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.