|Native name: |
Dependencia Federal Isla La Blanquilla
|Area||64.53 km2 (24.92 sq mi)|
|Federal Dependencies of Venezuela|
|Pop. density||0/km2 (0/sq mi)|
Blanquilla is an island, one of the Federal Dependencies of Venezuela, located in the southeastern Caribbean Sea about 293 km (182 miles) northeast of Caracas. It is a popular location for divers, as well as famous for its white sand beaches, for which it is named. The island's wildlife include local cacti and iguana. The island is also home to feral donkeys and goats. Its reefs are notable for their black coral, which is used for jewelry and other crafts. The island is formed by the Aves Ridge, a seafloor feature which protrudes above water to the north, forming several other islands. Has an area of 64.53 km²
In 2014, assertions made by the Hong Kong media that Venezuela was considering transferring ownership of Blanquilla island to China in exchange for the forgiveness of its $50 billion in debt were denied by the Chinese government.
- Federal Dependencies of Venezuela
- List of marine molluscs of Venezuela
- List of Poriferans of Venezuela
- Isla Blanquilla (Approved) at GEOnet Names Server, United States National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency
- "Isla Blanquilla, Venezuela: Image of the Day". NASA. 26 November 2007. Archived from the original on 25 April 2009.
- James, Keith L. "The Caribbean Ocean Plateau – an overview, and a different understanding" (PDF). pp. 2, 4. Archived (PDF) from the original on 3 October 2008.
- Vila, Marco Aurelio. 1967: Aspectos geográficos de las Dependencias Federales. Corporación Venezolana de Fomento. Caracas. 115p.
- Cervigon, Fernando. 1995: Las Dependencias Federales. Academia Nacional de la Historia. Caracas. 193p.
- Hernández Caballero, Serafín (Editor). 1998: Gran Enciclopedia de Venezuela. Editorial Globe, C.A. Caracas. 10 volúmenes. ISBN 980-6427-00-9 ISBN 980-6427-10-6
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Blanquilla Island.|
|This article about a location in Venezuela is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|