|Native name||Arroyo de Matarano|
|Region||San Luis Obispo County, Kern County|
|⁃ location||Walnut Creek and Yeguas Creek confluence., San Luis Obispo County|
|⁃ elevation||2,231 ft (680 m)|
|Antelope Valley (Kern County), Kern County|
|735 ft (224 m)|
|⁃ left||Ceder Canyon Creek|
The creek's source located at the confluence of Walnut Creek and Yeguas Creek in San Luis Obispo County, west of the Temblor Range and east of the Carrizo Plain in the San Andreas Fault rift zone. It flows northwest in the rift zone, then northeast through the Temblor Range and passing south of the Shale Hills, into Antelope Valley 4 miles southeast of Point of Rocks.
Arroyo de Matarano was a water stop on the 19th century El Camino Viejo in Alta California, between the stops of Aguaje Del Diablo to the south and Las Tinajas de Los Indios to the north, and east of Point of Rocks.
The Corral de Matarano was named after him, and lay below the mouth of the Arroyo. It was in a sandstone formation that made a natural stone corral. Openings in the enclosure were blocked by man made low stone walls, and was used to corral horses, cattle and sheep. Water at the corral could usually only be found upstream 8 miles to the west at Ceder Canyon, a mile more distant than the water at Las Tinajas de Los Indios.
The name Arroyo de Matarano was officially changed to Bitterwater Creek, for the taste of its waters, in March 1909 by the U.S. Board on Geographic Names.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Bitterwater Creek
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Walnut Creek
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Yeguas Creek
- - Mildred Brooke Hoover, Mildred Brooke Hoover, Historic spots in California, Stanford University Press, Stanford, 1990, p.123
- Frank Forrest Latta, Joaquín Murrieta And His Horse Gangs, Bear State Books, Santa Cruz, 1980, pp. 84, 454
- Frank F. Latta, "EL CAMINO VIEJO á LOS ANGELES" - The Oldest Road of the San Joaquin Valley; Bear State Books, Exeter, 2006, p.10