The Bishop of Willesden is an episcopal title used by a suffragan bishop of the Church of England Diocese of London, in the Province of Canterbury, England. The title takes its name after Willesden, an area of the London Borough of Brent.
The post was created in 1911, and was the fourth suffragan bishopric in the diocese. The new bishop was given oversight of four rural deaneries: Hampstead, Hornsey, St Pancras and Willesden, previously the responsibility of the Bishop of Islington.
The bishops suffragan of Willesden have been area bishops since the London area scheme was founded in 1979. The bishop now has responsibility for the Willesden Episcopal Area, that is, the Archdeaconry of Northolt, comprising four deaneries: Brent, Ealing, Harrow and Hillingdon.
List of bishops
|Bishops of Willesden|
|1929||1940||Guy Smith||Translated to Leicester|
|1940||1942||Henry Montgomery Campbell||Translated to Kensington|
|1942||1950||Michael Gresford Jones||Translated to St Albans|
|1950||1955||Gerald Ellison||Translated to Chester|
|1955||1964||George Ingle||Formerly Bishop of Fulham|
|1964||1973||Graham Leonard||Translated to Truro|
|1974||1985||Hewlett Thompson||First area bishop from 1979; translated to Exeter|
|1985||1991||Tom Butler||Translated to Leicester|
|1992||2000||Graham Dow||Translated to Carlisle|
|2001||present||Pete Broadbent||Also Acting Bishop of Stepney (2010–2011); effectively suspended 23 November 2010 – 10 January 2011; also Acting Bishop of London (2017–2018).|
- Crockford's Clerical Directory (100th ed.). London: Church House Publishing. 2007. p. 949. ISBN 978-0-7151-1030-0.
- "A Fourth Suffragan For London". The Times. 9 August 1911. p. 11.
- "No. 28520". The London Gazette. 8 August 1911. p. 5909.
- "4: The Dioceses Commission, 1978–2002" (PDF). Church of England. Archived from the original (PDF) on 7 June 2012. Retrieved 23 April 2013.
- "Willesden Episcopal Area". Diocese of London. Archived from the original on 27 May 2010. Retrieved 20 August 2010.
- Diocese of London — Ad clerum: Acting Bishop of Stepney Archived July 21, 2011, at the Wayback Machine
- Diocese of London — Ad clerum: The Bishop of Willesden Archived July 21, 2011, at the Wayback Machine
- Bishop who said 'shallow' William and Kate's marriage would fall apart within seven years is suspended. Daily Mail. Published on 23 November 2010.
|This Anglicanism-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|