The Bishop of Stepney is an episcopal title used by a suffragan bishop of the Church of England Diocese of London, in the Province of Canterbury, England. The title takes its name after Stepney, an inner-city district in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. The post is currently vacant, since Adrian Newman's resignation on 31 October 2018. The bishops suffragan of Stepney have been area bishops since the London area scheme was founded in 1979.
List of bishops
|Bishops of Stepney|
|1895||1897||George Forrest Browne||(1833–1930). Translated to Bristol|
|1897||1901||Arthur Winnington-Ingram||(1858–1946). Translated to London|
|1901||1909||Cosmo Gordon Lang||(1864–1945). Translated to York, and later to Canterbury|
|1909||1919||Luke Paget||(1853–1937). Formerly Bishop of Ipswich. Translated to Chester|
|1919||1928||Henry Mosley||(1868–1948). Translated to Southwell|
|1928||1936||Charles Curzon||(1878–1954). Translated to Exeter|
|1952||1957||Joost de Blank||(1908–1968)|
|1968||1978||Trevor Huddleston||(1913–1998). Translated to Mauritius|
|1978||1991||Jim Thompson||(1936–2003). First area bishop from 1979; translated to Bath and Wells|
|1992||1995||Richard Chartres||(b. 1947). Consecrated on 22 May 1992. Translated to London in 1995|
|1996||2002||John Sentamu||(b. 1949). Translated to Birmingham, and later to York|
|2003||2010||Stephen Oliver||(b. 1948) Retired 6 July 2010|
Bishop of Willesden
|Acted as Bishop of Stepney from 7 July 2010, effectively suspended from 23 November 2010 to 10 January 2011, resumed as Acting Bishop until 22 July 2011.|
|2011||2018||Adrian Newman||(b. 1958) Resigned on 31 October 2018 on health grounds.|
Bishop of Willesden
|Acting as Bishop of Stepney from 31 October 2018 until next incumbent.|
- Crockford's Clerical Directory (100th ed.). London: Church House Publishing. 2007. p. 948. ISBN 978-0-7151-1030-0.
- Bishop of Stepney to step down (Accessed 24 July 2018)
- "4: The Dioceses Commission, 1978–2002" (PDF). Church of England. Archived from the original (PDF) on 7 June 2012. Retrieved 23 April 2013.
- "No. 27308". The London Gazette. 26 April 1901. p. 2855.
- Diocese of London — Ad clerum: Acting Bishop of Stepney Archived July 21, 2011, at the Wayback Machine
- Diocese of London — Ad clerum: The Bishop of Willesden Archived July 21, 2011, at the Wayback Machine
- Bishop who said 'shallow' William and Kate's marriage would fall apart within seven years is suspended. Daily Mail. Published on 23 November 2010.
- Number 10 —Suffragan Bishop of Stepney
- Diocese of London — Urban pioneer appointed new bishop
|This Anglicanism-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|