The diocese covers 847 square miles (2,190 km2) including the whole of Nottinghamshire and a small area of South Yorkshire. The see is in the town of Southwell where the seat is located at the Cathedral and Collegiate Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary (also known as Southwell Minster), which was elevated to cathedral status in 1884. The bishop's residence is Bishop's Manor, Southwell — in the minster precincts.
The diocese was created in 1884 under Queen Victoria. Until 2005 it was known simply by the name "Southwell"; Nottingham was added to the title in that year. The current bishop is Paul Williams, whose election was confirmed on 11 May 2015. There are 314 church buildings in the Diocese.
List of bishops
|Bishops of Southwell|
|1884||1904||George Ridding||Formerly Headmaster of Winchester College|
|1904||1925||Edwyn Hoskyns||Died in post.|
|1926||1928||Bernard Heywood||Resigned in ill health; became an assistant bishop in York then Bishop suffragan of Hull and later Bishop of Ely|
|1928||1941||Henry Mosley||Formerly Bishop of Stepney|
|1964||1970||Gordon Savage||Formerly Bishop of Buckingham|
|1985||1988||Michael Whinney||Formerly Bishop of Aston|
|1988||1999||Patrick Harris||Formerly Bishop of Northern Argentina and Secretary of the Partnership for World Mission.|
|1999||2005||George Cassidy||Enthroned 11 September 1999; See translated to "Southwell and Nottingham" in 2005.|
|Bishops of Southwell and Nottingham|
|2010||20 January 2014||Paul Butler ||Formerly Bishop of Southampton; translated to Durham on 20 January 2014.|
|20 January 2014||9 April 2014||Tony Porter, Acting Bishop (Bishop suffragan of Sherwood)||Resigned commission due to ill health; remained as suffragan.|
|9 April 2014||8 April 2015||Richard Inwood, Acting Bishop (honorary assistant bishop)||Retired Bishop suffragan of Bedford.|
|9 April 2015||11 May 2015||Tony Porter, Acting Bishop (Bishop suffragan of Sherwood)||Following the expiration of Inwood's commission.|
|11 May 2015||present||Paul Williams||Previously area Bishop of Kensington.|
Among those called Assistant Bishop of Southwell:
- November 1952 – 1968 (death): Morris Gelsthorpe, former Bishop in Sudan
- 1960–1971 (ret.): Mark Way, Rector of Averham, former Bishop of Masasi
- 1972–1977 (ret.): Bernard Markham, Rector of East Bridgford, former Bishop of Nassau
- Crockford's Clerical Directory, 100th edition, (2007), Church House Publishing. ISBN 978-0-7151-1030-0.
- The Diocese of Southwell and Nottingham Archived 28 October 2008 at the Wayback Machine. (Official website). Retrieved on 18 November 2008.
- "Paul Gavin Williams". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 30 June 2017.
- Diocese of Southwell & Nottingham — Election of new Bishop of Southwell & Nottingham confirmed (Accessed 24 May 2015)
- Diocese of Southwell & Nottingham – Downing Street announces that the next Bishop of Durham is to be Paul Butler (Accessed 12 September 2013)
- The Bishop of Southwell and Nottingham Archived 7 July 2007 at the Wayback Machine. (Official website). Retrieved on 18 November 2008.
- Bishop of Willesden announces Bishop Paul's new post on Twitter - https://twitter.com/pete173/status/2385887470
- Diocese of Southwell & Nottingham – Bishops (Archived, 2 January 2014) (Accessed 10 April 2014)
- Diocese of Southwell & Nottingham – Bishop Richard Inwood takes temporary charge (Accessed 10 April 2014)
- "Historical successions: Southwell". Crockford's Clerical Directory. Retrieved 17 July 2012.
- "Bishop Wilfrid Lewis Mark Way". Church Times (#6245). 22 October 1982. p. 16. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 6 November 2019 – via UK Press Online archives.
- "Around the dioceses: Southwell". Church Times (#5964). 2 June 1977. p. 14. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 1 June 2019 – via UK Press Online archives.
- "Who Was Who". 2007. doi:10.1093/ww/9780199540884.013.U166820. Cite journal requires
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bishops of the Diocese of Southwell and Nottingham.|