The Bishop of Crediton is an episcopal title which takes its name from the town of Crediton in Devon, England. The title was originally used by the Anglo-Saxons in the 10th and 11th centuries for a diocese covering Devon and Cornwall. It is now used by the Church of England as the title of a suffragan bishop who assists the diocesan Bishop of Exeter.
List of bishops suffragan
The present Bishop of Crediton is a title used by a Church of England suffragan bishop who, along with the Bishop of Plymouth, assists the diocesan Bishop of Exeter in overseeing the Diocese of Exeter.
|Bishops suffragan of Crediton|
|1996||2004||Richard Hawkins||Formerly Bishop of Plymouth.|
|2004||October 2012||Bob Evens||Retired on 31 October 2012.|
|November 2012||19 April 2015||Nick McKinnel||Translated to Plymouth 19 April 2015.|
|22 July 2015||8 March 2018||Sarah Mullally||Announced 9 June 2015; consecrated 22 July; translated to London on 8 March 2018.|
|2018||present||Jackie Searle||Consecrated 27 September 2018.|
- "Historical successions: Exeter (including precussor offices)". Crockford's Clerical Directory. Retrieved 18 July 2012.
- Fryde, E. B.; Greenway, D. E.; Porter, S.; Roy, I. (1986). Handbook of British Chronology (3rd, revised ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. p. 287. ISBN 0-521-56350-X.
- Crockford's Clerical Directory (100th ed.). London: Church House Publishing. 2007. p. 946. ISBN 978-0-7151-1030-0.
- BBC: New Bishop for Crediton
- Diocese of Exeter: Bishop of Crediton to retire Archived 5 April 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- BBC: New Bishop of Crediton named as Rev Nick McKinnel
- Diocese of Exeter — Vacancy in the See of Crediton (Archive.org) (Accessed 1 May 2015)
- Diocese of Exeter — New Bishop of Crediton to be Dame Sarah Mullally (Accessed 9 June 2015)
- Diocese of London — Mullally’s installation as Bishop of London (Accessed 26 January 2018)
- "Next Bishop of Crediton announced today". Diocese of Exeter. 11 July 2018. Retrieved 11 July 2018.