The suffragan bishop was originally to assist the Archbishop of York in overseeing the Diocese of York, but after 1923 the position fell into abeyance. The See was revived under the Suffragans Nomination Act 1888 by Order in Council dated 8 February 1994, as a Provincial Episcopal Visitor for the Province of York. The bishop has responsibility for those parishes in 9 dioceses of the province who cannot in good conscience accept the sacramental ministry of bishops who have participated in the ordination of women. As of 2014[update], three of the twelve dioceses in the northern province provide a different suffragan bishop to such parishes in their diocese: in the Diocese of Leeds the Bishop of Wakefield and in Blackburn and Carlisle the Bishop of Burnley.
List of bishops
|Bishops of Beverley|
|1889||1923||Robert Crosthwaite |
|7 March 1994||2000||John Gaisford SSC|
|2000||2012||Martyn Jarrett SSC||Formerly Bishop of Burnley|
|25 January 2013||present||Glyn Webster||Formerly Canon Chancellor at York Minster|
- Bishop of Ebbsfleet
- Bishop of Fulham
- Bishop of Richborough
- List of Anglo-Catholic churches in England
- Crockford's Clerical Directory (100th ed.). London: Church House Publishing. 2007. p. 945. ISBN 978-0-7151-1030-0.
- "No. 53585". The London Gazette. 11 February 1994. p. 2143.
- See of Beverley – Parishes
- Number 10 – Suffragan See of Beverley
- Beverley Festival: The Bishop of Beverley Archived 10 February 2006 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved on 3 June 2008.