|Managed by||Northern Trains|
|Classification||DfT category D|
Passenger statistics from the Office of Rail and Road
Birchwood railway station is a railway station opened in 1981 by British Rail, serving the Birchwood district to the north east of Warrington, Cheshire, in the north west of England. The station is 24 1⁄4 miles (39.0 km) East of Liverpool Lime Street railway station and 13 1⁄4 miles (21.3 km) west of Manchester Piccadilly on the Liverpool-Manchester line.
The station is operated by Northern Trains and is on the southern route of the Liverpool–Manchester Line. It is manned full-time (between 0610 and 2345 Mondays–Saturdays and 0825 and 2320 Sundays). It is across from the main Birchwood shopping complex and is well served by onward transportation to all parts of Birchwood and further afield.
There is sheltered seating on both platforms with a ticket office with seating on the Manchester-bound platform. A footbridge connects the two platforms. Outside the station there is a bus stop and the station is close to the Birchwood shopping mall.
The ticket office is open until 22:00, though it does occasionally close during the day whilst staff carry out other duties. During the daytime there are three staff members on the station (station clerk, kiosk and a cleaner), and two of an evening (station clerk and a security guard). When the ticket office is closed there are 2 ticket machines in the station building on platform 1 and 1 in the waiting room on platform 2. Train running information is provided by automated announcements, digital information screens and timetable posters. Step-free access is available via lifts on both platforms (commissioned in the autumn of 2014).
The station sees a general frequency of three trains per hour per direction, all now provided by Northern Trains:
- Two suburban trains per hour to Manchester Oxford Road via Irlam (serving most local stations)
- Two suburban trains per hour to Liverpool Lime Street via Warrington Central (as above)
- One fast train per hour to Liverpool Lime Street stopping only at Warrington Central and Liverpool South Parkway en route
- One fast train per hour to Manchester Airport via Manchester Piccadilly
TPE services stopped calling there in May 2018, as a result of the new Northern & TransPennine Express franchise agreements coming into effect in spring 2016. All services are now provided by Northern Trains,(who have also taken over the management of the station). The fast service runs to and from Manchester Airport (all TPE services from Liverpool now run via Newton-le-Willows and Manchester Victoria) and will be eventually marketed under the Northern Connect brand.
- Birchwood station facilities National Rail Enquiries; Retrieved 12 December 2016
- Easier access for passengers at Birchwood Network Rail Media Centre article; Retrieved 12 December 2016
- Table 89 National Rail timetable, May 2019
- "Northern Franchise Improvements - DfT". Archived from the original on 24 July 2019. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Birchwood railway station.|
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|East Midlands Railway|
Peak Hours only