Bing News's news aggregator
Type of site
|Search engine, news aggregator|
|Launched||June 3, 2009|
Bing News (previously Live Search News) is a part of Microsoft's Bing search engine. It is a search engine and aggregator specifically for news articles through a variety of trusted and credible internet news sources, including New York Times, Washington Post, MSNBC and Reuters.
News headlines from various sources are aggregated and categorized into sections for users to browse, which include top stories and category-specific articles such as business, politics or entertainment. When applicable, the headline for breaking news is clearly identified and visible on the top panel of the page. Depending on the user's location, localized news are available on the right panel of the page for each of the states in the United States. Multimedia content are also incorporated on the news pages, including images and videos with smart-motion thumbnails similar to Bing Videos.
Bing News also allow users to type in a search term to browse through an archive of news articles that are relevant to the search query. In addition, the right panel of the search results page also allow users to refine their results by location and category, or search with an alternative related search term.
RSS support was added on April 24, 2008, providing support for subscription to a specific news category or search results. In March 2011 Microsoft added Twitter "tweets" to its news results. In August 2015 Microsoft announced that Bing News for mobile devices will sort news headlines by relevancy to the topic and related topics, the "smart labels" clarify context as Microsoft's research found out that around 60% of the people consume news by only reading headlines as opposed to also reading the articles.
- Halfacree, Gareth (17 April 2008). "Microsoft launches news aggregator.". Bit-Tech.
- Oswald, Edward (5 February 2013). "Microsoft adds one more news aggregator to the mix.". Beta News.
- Protalinski, Emil (17 April 2008). "Live Search News tries to combine Google News and Techmeme. As part of a broader revamp to its Live Search service, Microsoft has quietly …". Ars Technica.
- Ha, Anthony (16 April 2008). "Live Search News: Just in case you wanted more Microsoft-Google competition.". VentureBeat.
- Sterling, Greg (28 May 2009). "Microsoft’s Bing Vs Google: Head To Head Search Results.". Search Engine Land.
- Live Search Official Team Blog: We’ve revamped News Search!
- Schwartz, Barry (23 March 2011). "Bing News Adds Tweets To News Results.". Search Engine Land.
- Wilson, Mark (20 August 2015). "Bing News now connects related stories to give readers better context.". Beta News.