Road sign at the entrance to Bilasuvar Rayon
Map of Azerbaijan showing Bilasuvar Rayon
|• Total||1,397 km2 (539 sq mi)|
|Telephone code||(+994) 25|
Total area of the rayon is equal to 1358 km2. The rayon occupies the south-western and southern part of the Mugan plain. The territory borders upon Imishli Rayon to the north for a distance of 53 km, Saatly Rayon to the south-west for a distance of 23 km, Sabirabad Rayon for a distance of 20 km, Salyan Rayon to the east for a distance of 23 km and Neftchala Rayon for a distance of 4 km, Jalilabad Rayon to the south for a distance of 54 km, and Iran to the south for a distance of 64 km. The total length of the borders is equal to 241 km.
An international customs post is in the Bilasuvar Rayon territory.
The Persian historian Hamdullah Qazvini wrote that the medieval urban settlement of Bilasuvar was established by the emir of Buveyhi, Pilasuvar in the 10th century, and was hence named after him. In the 14th century, the city declined due to feudal civil strife. The name in Turkic means pure water falls, due to the area's numerous rivers, though given the largely flat terrain the reference to waterfalls is somewhat misleading.
In 1963, the territory was united with Jalilabad Rayon, and in 1964, it became an independent rayon again. After the collapse of the USSR in 1991, it returned to its historic name and was renamed to Bilasuvar Rayon again.
According to the State Statistics Committee, as of 2018, the population of city was 102,400 persons, which increased by 26,400 persons (about 34.7 percent) from 76,000 persons in 2000. 51,600 of total population are men, 50,800 are women. More than 26.7 percent of the population (about 27,400 persons) consists of young people and teenagers aged 14-29.
- The State Statistical Committee of the Republic of Azerbaijan :Biləsuvar rayonu Archived 2012-05-11 at the Wayback Machine:(in azerbaijani)
- Azərbaycan Respublikası Prezidentinin İşlər İdarəsinin Prezident Kitabxanası : İnzibati ərazi vahidləri : Biləsuvar rayonu[permanent dead link]
- "Şəhərlərarası telefon kodlar��". Aztelekom MMC. Aztelekom İB. Retrieved 19 August 2015. (in Azerbaijani)
- "Biləsuvar rayonu".
- "Biləsuvar rayonu". azerbaijan.az. Archived from the original on 2012-07-16.
- "Territorial and Administrative Units" (PDF). preslib.az. Administrative Department of the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan. Retrieved 3 November 2015.
- "Bilasuvar". Authentic Azerbaijan. Archived from the original on 2014-11-11.
- "Political division, population size and structure: Population by towns and regions of the Republic of Azerbaijan". The State Statistical Committee of the Republic of Azerbaijan. Retrieved 2018-12-18.
- "Political division, population size and structure: Population by sex, towns and regions, urban settlements of the Republic of Azerbaijan at the beginning of the 2018". The State Statistical Committee of the Republic of Azerbaijan. Retrieved 2018-12-18.
- "Political division, population size and structure: Population at age 14-29 by towns and regions of the Republic of Azerbaijan at the beginning of the 2018". The State Statistical Committee of the Republic of Azerbaijan. Retrieved 2018-12-18.
|This Bilasuvar Rayon location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|