Current logo for BibleGateway.com
Screenshot of BibleGateway.com homescreen
|Available in||72 Languages|
|Owner||Gospel Communications (1995-2008) |
|Created by||Nick Hengeveld|
BibleGateway.com is a website designed to allow easy reading, listening, studying, searching, and sharing of the Christian Bible in many different versions and translations, including English, French, Spanish, and other languages (see below). Its mission statement is "To honor Christ by equipping people to read and understand the Bible, wherever they are". The website is free for anyone to use, but also offers Bible Gateway Plus, a membership program with enhanced services. It is currently owned by Zondervan.
Bible Gateway's engagement features include the ability to display a single bible verse in all English bible translations, the ability to display and compare up to five Bible translations side-by-side at once; its daily Blog; more than 60 email devotions, Bible reading plans, and verses-of-the-day; an award-winning free mobile app; audio Bibles; video interviews; Bible reference books; shareable widgets; advanced search tools; Bible Gateway Blogger Grid; retail store; and Bible Gateway Deals discount program. Bible Gateway's online bookstore offers more than 500,000 Christian resources. It is an affiliate of Christianbook.com.
Started by Nick Hengeveld in 1993 at Calvin College, Bible Gateway was initially planned as a static HTML presentation of the Bible. In 1995, the site moved to the new Gospel Communications Network (a part of Gospel Communications International). The Bible Gateway website was originally written as a CGI script in Perl. Later versions were written in C++, PHP and Ruby.
Bible Gateway gradually expanded its database by acquiring the rights to more English and foreign language translations, including translations published by International Bible Society, The Lockman Foundation and Wycliffe Global Alliance.
In late 2008, Zondervan (the Evangelical Christian publisher of the NIV and TNIV Bible and a wholly owned subsidiary of HarperCollins) acquired Bible Gateway from Gospel Communications. The sale of the site came after two years of continued financial difficulties on the part of the donation-driven GospelCom ministry.
In June 2009, Joseph Park was hired as president of BibleGateway.com. Park was co-founder and former CEO of Kozmo.com, which was the subject of the documentary film e-Dreams. He was also co-founder and former CEO of Askville, owned by Amazon.com and closed in 2013.
English-language Bible versions
- 21st Century King James Version
- American Standard Bible
- Amplified Bible
- BRG Bible
- Bible in Worldwide English (New Testament)
- Christian Standard Bible
- Common English Bible
- Complete Jewish Bible
- Contemporary English Version
- Darby Translation
- Disciples' Literal New Testament
- Douay-Rheims Bible
- Easy-to-Read Version
- English Standard Version
- Evangelical Heritage Version New Testament and Psalms
- Expanded Bible
- 1599 Geneva Bible
- God's Word Translation
- Good News Translation
- Holman Christian Standard Bible
- International Children's Bible
- International Standard Version
- J.B. Phillips New Testament
- Jubilee Bible 2000
- King James Version
- Knox Bible - Removed on August 15, 2013
- Lexham English Bible
- The Living Bible
- The Message
- Modern English Version
- Mounce Reverse-Interlinear New Testament
- Names of God Bible
- New American Bible Revised Edition
- New American Standard Bible
- New Century Version
- New English Translation (NET Bible)
- New International Readers Version
- New International Version 2011 / 1984 / UK - The 1984 Edition of the NIV was removed on February 28, 2013.
- New King James Version
- New Life Version
- New Living Translation
- [New Matthew Bible
- New Revised Standard Version
- New Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition
- New Testament for Everyone
- The Orthodox Jewish Bible
- Revised Standard Version
- Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition
- The Passion Translation (TPT)
- Tree of Life Version
- The Voice
- World English Bible
- Today's New International Version - Removed on February 28, 2013
- Worldwide English New Testament
- Wycliffe's Bible
- Young's Literal Translation
Non-English Bible versions
- Guerrero Amuzgo
- Guerrero Nahuatl
- Haitian Creole
- Highland Chinantec
- Weber, Jeremy (November 6, 2008). "Why Zondervan Bought BibleGateway". Christianity Today Magazine. Archived from the original on 13 February 2009. Retrieved 2009-02-15.
- "Christianbook Home Page - Christianbook.com". Retrieved 16 October 2014.
- "Newsgroups: comp.archives, "Anyone want to test a gateway?" (12/28/1993)". Retrieved 16 October 2014.
- About the Bible Gateway
- "Grand Rapids Press: Zondervan acquires religious site BibleGateway.com". MLive.com. Retrieved 16 October 2014.
- "Muskegon Chronicle: Muskegon-based Christian media giant near close". Retrieved 16 October 2014.
- Engleman, Eric (October 19, 2009). "Q&A: Joseph Park on Amazon, Kozmo and his new career move". TechFlash. Archived from the original on 16 April 2010. Retrieved 2010-04-28.
- "Innovators - From the Web To Your Door". Time. 2000-09-09.
- "Zondervan names Bible Gateway general manager". Christian Retailing. 10 May 2010. Retrieved 27 April 2014.