Daya Bay (simplified Chinese: 大亚湾; traditional Chinese: 大亞灣; pinyin: Dàyà Wān; Jyutping: daai6aa3 waan1), also formally known as Bias Bay, is a bay of the South China Sea on the south coast of Guangdong Province in the People's Republic of China. It is bordered by Shenzhen's Dapeng Peninsula to the west and Huizhou to the north and east.
The bay was a hideout of pirates in the 1920s when the Republic of China government was occupied conducting the Northern Expedition. The bay is now an important contributor in the energy sector for Guangdong province.
Economy and Industry
Daya Bay is home to six nuclear reactors, two at the Daya Bay Nuclear Power Plant and four at the Ling Ao Nuclear Power Plant, as well as the Daya Bay Reactor Neutrino Experiment. Two additional reactors are planned farther east at the Lufeng Nuclear Power Plant. Daya Bay is located at approximately Coordinates: . The bay also host the Huizhou Daya Bay Economic and Technological Development Zone.
Historically, Daya Bay had whales and turtles. The bay was one of the breeding grounds along the southern coast of China for Asian population of gray whales which are now one of the most endangered whale population in the world. They migrated here to calve in the winter-spring seasons. Other species, such as humpback whales also migrated here historically. All of these were wiped out by Japanese whalers established whaling stations on various sites on Chinese coasts including at nearby Daya Bay. Critically endangered Chinese white dolphins and occasional whales such as humpbacks have been confirmed in the bay recent years.
- Bias Bay, China – Geographical Names, map, geographic coordinates
- "Ship Sink Off Waglan". The Hongkong Telegraph. 1929-01-16.
- Dredging in China under strict environment control Archived 2016-04-06 at the Wayback Machine
- 大辣甲岛海域现死亡鲸鱼 死因未明
- Jefferson A.T., Hung K.S., 2007, An updated, annotated checklist of the marine mammals of Hong Kong, Mammalia (2007) – DOI 10.1515/MAMM.2007.021, pp.105–114
- Rockwell D.H., 2009, When in Rome, Do as the Whales Do!
- 大亚湾发现中华白海豚 专家：应保持百米安全距离
|This Guangdong location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|