Bhakti Ballabh Tirtha
Bhakti Ballabh Tirtha
Kamakhya Charan Guharay (Birth Name)
24 April 1924
|Died||21 April 2017 (aged 92)|
|Notable work(s)||See Publications section|
|Education||M.A. Philosophy, Calcutta University (1946)|
|Teacher||Bhakti Dayita Madhava Goswami Maharaj|
|Predecessor||Bhakti Dayita Madhava Goswami Maharaj|
|Post||President of Sree Chaitanya Gaudiya Math, President of WVA|
Srila Bhakti Ballabh Tirtha Maharaj (24 April 1924 - 21 April 2017) was a disciple of Bhakti Dayita Madhava Goswami Maharaj and an acharya and initiating spiritual master (Sri Guru) in the Gaudiya Math following the philosophy of the Bhakti marg, specifically of Caitanya Mahaprabhu and Gaudiya Vaishnava theology. He was the President Acharya of Sree Chaitanya Gaudiya Math, headquartered at Kolkata, West Bengal, India and having more than 22 branches in India. He was president of WVA (World Vaishnava Association) and founder of GOKUL( Global organization for KrishnaChaitnaya's Universal Love).
He has written extensively in Bengali, Hindi and English. His most read and referenced book is Sri Caitanya and His Associates, which details the lives of an entire lineage of Gaudiya Vaishnava spiritual leaders, from the 10th century to the present day.
Srila Bhakti Ballabh Tirtha Maharaj departed for His eternal abode, Goloka Vrindavan, on April 21, 2017, at the Sree Caitanya Gaudiya Math Temple, Kolkata. His samadhi was installed on April 22 in the holy city of Mayapur at Sree Chaitanya Gaudiya math , Mayapur.
He was born on 13 April 1924, on the day of Ram Navami, in Goalpara, Assam, India. He is a disciple of Srila Bhakti Dayita Madhava Goswami Maharaj who founded Sree Chaitanya Gaudiya Math in 1953. He was appointed as the president for Sree Chaitanya Gaudiya Math in 1979. He also serves as the president of the World Vaishnava Association (WVA).
He has been travelling around the world and spreading the teachings of Chaitanya Mahaprabhu around the world. He is among the most read master in the speaking tree initiative of The Times of India.
Bhakti Ballabh Tirtha Maharaj left the world on the night of April 20, 2017 at his temple in the city of Calcutta in the Indian state of West Bengal. On April 22 a large procession was carried out from Calcutta to the city of Mayapur in the same state. In the temple of Sri Chaitanya Gaudiya Math the Vedic rituals pertinent to the Rupanuga branch were finally carried out and their body was covered with lime and a temple known as "samadhi" will be built there.
One of the major contributions of Srila Bhakti Ballabh Tirtha Maharaj has been the books authored by him. His books are based on Vedic scriptures and are clear reflections of the teachings of Chaitanya Mahaprabhu and of Gaudiya Vaishnavism. Below is the list of his books:
- Sri Chaitanya: His Life and Associates ( ISBN 978-1886069282)
- Dasavatara (ISBN 1932771824) This is a commentary on the Ten Manifestations of Sri Vishnu, described in Gita Govinda, composed by Jayadeva Goswami.
- Sages of ancient India (ISBN 1886069581)
- A Taste of Transcendence (ISBN 1886069719)
- Sudha Bhakti (ISBN 1886069360)
- Affectionately Yours-Divine Letters This book is an extensive collection of letters (1981-2012) written by Bhakti Ballabh Tirtha to his disciples as a response to their spiritual inquiries.
- Sages, Saints and Kings of Ancient India This book is a compilation of pastimes of legendary personalities from Vedic Scriptures such as Bhagavata Purana, Mahabharata and Ramayana.
- Harikatha And Vaishnava Aparadha
- Nectar Of Harikatha
- Path of Pure Devotion
- "HH Bhakti Ballabh Tirtha Goswami Maharaj enters Nityalila!". mayapur. Retrieved 23 February 2018.
- Srila B B Tirtha Goswami Maharaj entered in Krishna Lila today at a 10h15 pm
- Chopra, Swati (2003), "The Way of Love", Life Positive, vol. 11
- Broo, Måns (2003), As good as God: the guru in Gauḍīya Vaiṣṇavism (PDF), Åbo Akademi University Pres, ISBN 951-765-132-5
- Gupta, Dr. Ravi M (2014), Chaitanya Vaisnava Philosophy: Tradition, Reason and Devotion, Ashgate Publishing, Ltd
- Melton, J. Gordon (2014), Religions of the World: A Comprehensive Encyclopedia of Beliefs and Practices, 2nd Edition [6 volumes]: A Comprehensive Encyclopedia of Beliefs and Practices
- "'Absolute truth is eternal'", The Times of India, p. 2, March 6, 2012