|Bethnal Green and Stepney|
|Former Borough constituency|
for the House of Commons
|Number of members||One|
|Replaced by||Bethnal Green and Bow (the most part)|
Poplar and Limehouse (small parts)
|Created from||Bethnal Green & Bow and Stepney & Poplar|
Bethnal Green and Stepney was a parliamentary constituency in east London, which returned one Member of Parliament to the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom from 1983 until it was abolished for the 1997 general election.
The constituency was made up of nine electoral wards of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets: Holy Trinity, Redcoat, St Dunstan’s, St James’, St Katharine’s, St Mary’s, St Peter’s, Spitalfields, and Weavers. It was abolished in 1997, and largely replaced by the larger Bethnal Green and Bow constituency, in line with the Boundary Commission's recommendation that one seat should be lost in the paired boroughs of Tower Hamlets and Newham. 297 electors moved to the new Cities of London and Westminster constituency.
Members of Parliament
|1997||constituency abolished: see Bethnal Green and Bow|
Elections in the 1980s
|National Front||Victor Clark||800||2.6||N/A|
|Independent||B. N. Chaudhuri||214||0.7||N/A|
|Independent||P. J. Mahoney||136||0.4||N/A|
|Labour win (new seat)|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrats||Jeremy Shaw||8,120||22.3||−9.5|
|Conservative||Jane E. Emmerson||6,507||17.9||−1.4|
|Communist (PCC)||Stanley E. Kelsey||156||0.4||−0.3|
Notes and references
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "B" (part 3)
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "Politics Resources". Election 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Archived from the original on 24 July 2011. Retrieved 6 December 2010.