|Greg Bentley, CEO|
Keith A. Bentley, Co-Founder
Barry J. Bentley, Co-Founder
Raymond B. Bentley, Co-Founder
|Revenue||US$700 million (2018)|
Number of employees
Bentley Systems, Incorporated, is an American-based software development company that develops, manufactures, licenses, sells and supports computer software and services for the design, construction, and operation of infrastructure. The company's software serves the building, plant, civil, and geospatial markets in the areas of architecture, engineering, construction (AEC) and operations. Their software products are used to design, engineer, build, and operate large constructed assets such as roadways, railways, bridges, buildings, industrial plants, power plants, and utility networks. The company re-invests 20% of their revenues in research and development
Bentley has three principal software product lines: MicroStation, ProjectWise, and AssetWise. Since 2014, some products have been based on the Microsoft Azure cloud computing platform.
Keith A. Bentley and Barry J. Bentley founded Bentley Systems in 1984. They introduced the commercial version of PseudoStation in 1985, which allowed users of Intergraph's VAX systems to use low-cost graphics terminals to view and modify the designs on their Intergraph IGDS (Interactive Graphics Design System) installations. Their first product was shown to potential users who were polled as to what they would be willing to pay for it. They averaged the answers, arriving at a price of $7,943. A DOS-based version of MicroStation was introduced in 1986.
- On June 18, 1997, Bentley acquired IdeaGraphix, a developer of MicroStation-based application software for architecture, engineering, and facilities management.
- On January 15, 1998, Bentley acquired Jacobus.
- On January 2, 2001, Bentley acquired Intergraph's civil engineering, plot-services and raster conversion software businesses.
- On October 17, 2001, Bentley Systems bought Geopak design software for road and rail infrastructure.
- On July 30, 2002, Bentley Systems acquired Rebis.
- On January 6, 2003, Bentley announced it would acquire Infrasoft Corporation.
- On August 2, 2004, Bentley acquired Haestad Methods, Inc.
- On August 31, 2005, Bentley agreed to acquire netGuru's Research Engineers International (REI) business which included its STAAD structural analysis and design product line.
- On June 6, 2006, Bentley acquired GEF-RIS AG.
- On January 29, 2007, Bentley acquired KIWI Software.
- On May 12, 2007, Bentley acquired C.W. Beilfuss and Associates.
- On May 9, 2007, Bentley acquired TDV GmbH, an analysis and design software provider for bridge engineering.
- On January 22, 2008, Bentley acquired Hevacomp, Ltd.
- On January 24, 2008, Bentley acquired LEAP Software, Inc.
- On January 29, 2008, Bentley acquired promis•e product line from ECT International.
- On May 28, 2008, Bentley Systems acquired Common Point for mainstream construction simulation.
- On October 13, 2009, Bentley added geotechnical and geoenvironmental capabilities with the acquisition of gINT Software.
- On February 9, 2010, Bentley Systems announced two acquisitions: Exor Corporation and Enterprise Informatics.
- On March 2, 2011, Bentley Systems acquired software for offshore structural analysis from Engineering Dynamics, Inc.
- On December 10, 2011, Bentley acquired FormSys.
- On November 8, 2011, Bentley acquired Pointools Ltd., an England developer of point-cloud software technology.
- On March 7, 2014, Bentley acquired the elcoSystem software business of Hannappel Software.
- On May 18, 2012, Bentley acquired InspectTech Systems, USA, a provider of field inspection applications and asset management services for bridges and other transportation assets.
- On September 19, 2012, Bentley acquired Canadian-based Ivara.
- On November 12, 2012, Bentley acquired the Microprotol pressure vessel design and analysis software from EuResearch.
- On November 13, 2012, Bentley acquired SpecWave.
- On March 14, 2013, Bentley acquired topoGRAPH, a provider of surveying software.
- On October 8, 2013, Bentley acquired the MOSES software business from Ultramarine.
- On February 25, 2014, Bentley acquired DocQnet Systems’ eB Services BizDocQnet Systems.
- On September 26, 2014, Bentley acquired SITEOPS, optimization software for enhanced land development site design, from Blueridge Analytics.
- On January 14, 2015, Bentley acquired C3global for predictive modeling.
- On February 10, 2015, Bentley acquired Acute3D.
- On February 15, 2015, Bentley acquired reality modeling creator e-on.
- On January 23, 2018, Bentley acquired S-Cube Futuretech Pvt Ltd. to expand its offerings specific to the concrete engineering design and documentation software users in India, Southeast Asia, and the Middle East.
- On April 26, 2018, Bentley acquired Dutch geotechnical modelling company Plaxis B.V.
In April 2002, Bentley filed for an initial public offering, but it was withdrawn before taking effect. In November 2016, German-based Siemens announced it would pay about $76 million for a minority stake in Bentley, as well as invest in developing joint software with it.
Bentley Institute Press
Bentley Systems also is a publisher of textbooks and professional references for the architectural, engineering, and construction (AEC), operations, geospatial, and educational communities, under the name Bentley Institute Press.
Bentley Infrastructure 500
Since 2010, Bentley annually published a ranking of the top owners of infrastructure from both the public and private sectors.
- Company Profile from Hoover’s: Bentley Systems, Incorporated | Company Profile from Hoover’s, Retrieved September 12, 2016
- http://www.bentleyannualreport-digital.com/bentleyannualreport/annual_report_2014?search_term=revenue&doc_id=-1&search_term=revenue&pg=4#pg4 2014 Bentley Systems Annual Report[permanent dead link]
- Newton, Randall (18 May 2015). "Bentley reports $625 million revenue for 2014 : GraphicSpeak". Graphic Speak. Retrieved 23 Dec 2019.
The privately held AEC software firm offers annual insight into operations. Compared to 2013 Bentley has lost ground to Autodesk. (sub-title)
- Pradeep (18 July 2016). "Bentley Systems uses Microsoft Azure cloud services to advance infrastructure". MSPoweruser (Blog). Retrieved 23 Dec 2019.
- SPAR 3D: www.spar3d.com/news/software/vol12no45-bentley-announces-next-gen-connect-software-platform/, accessdate: September 7, 2016
- Section 10: CAD/CAM/CAE/CADD: Section 10: CAD/CAM/CAE/CADD Archived 2016-04-04 at the Wayback Machine, accessdate: September 14, 2016
- David E. Weisberg (2008). The Engineering Design Revolution : The People, Companies and Computer Systems That Changed Forever the Practice of Engineering (PDF). pp. 10–1. Retrieved 12 September 2016.
- Chris Barron, Friday Q&A: Chris Barron of Bentley Systems Archived 2009-04-17 at the Wayback Machine, Technically Philly, 2009
- Ranjit S. Sahai (June 1999). Teach yourself MicroStation J. Alpha Press. p. 10. ISBN 978-1-892658-00-5. Retrieved 14 September 2016.
- IdeaGraphix to be Acquired by Bentley Systems: IdeaGraphix to be Acquired by Bentley Systems, accessdate: August 18, 2016
- Bentley Acquires Jacobus and Strengthens Commitment to Plant Engineering and Design Industry; Sales of PlantSpace Software Show Impressive Growth in 1997. - Free Online Library, accessdate: August 18, 2016
- Bentley's acquires Intergraph's civil engineering, plot-services and raster-conversion software businesses: Bentley's acquires Intergraph's civil engineering, plot-services and raster-conversion software businesses, accessdate: August 18, 2016
- Philadelphia Business Journal: www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/stories/2001/10/15/daily25.html, accessdate: August 18, 2016
- Software Equity Group’s Client, Rebis, Acquired by Bentley Systems: Software Equity Group’s Client, Rebis, Acquired by Bentley Systems, accessdate: August 18, 2016
- Free Online Library: Bentley to Acquire Infrasoft Corporation; Software and Services Company Specializes in Infrastructure Solutions for Civil Engineering. - Free Online Library, accessdate: August 18, 2016
- Business Wire: www.businesswire.com/news/home/20040802005686/en/Bentley-Acquires-Haestad-Methods, accessdate: August 18, 2016
- Geospatial World: www.geospatialworld.net/news-posts/bentley-agrees-to-acquire-staad-product-lines-from-netguru/, accessdate: August 18, 2016
- Bentley Acquires GEF-RIS AG: www.gim-international.com/content/news/bentley-acquires-gef-ris-ag, accessdate: August 18, 2016
- Houston Chronicle: www.chron.com/news/article/BW-Bentley-Acquires-KIWI-Software-to-Deliver-1839766.php, accessdate: August 18, 2016
- Business Wire: Bentley Acquires C.W. Beilfuss & Associates | Business Wire, accessdate: August 18, 2016
- Geospatial World: www.geospatialworld.net/news-posts/bentley-acquires-tdv-gmbh-analysis-and-design-software-provider-for-bridge-engineering/, accessdate: August 18, 2016
- Business Wire: Bentley Acquires Hevacomp, Ltd., Expanding Portfolio of Software to Improve Performance of Buildings, accessdate: August 18, 2016
- Business Wire: Bentley Acquires LEAP Software, Inc., Expanding Portfolio of Software for Analysis and Design of Concrete Bridges, accessdate: August 18, 2016
- Cadalyst: www.cadalyst.com/aec/news/bentley-acquires-promisampbulle-product-line-4479, accessdate: August 18, 2016
- Philadelphia Business Journal: www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/stories/2008/05/26/daily19.html, accessdate: August 18, 2016
- Bentley Adds Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Capabilities Through Acquisition of gINT Software: Bentley Adds Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Capabilities Through Acquisition of gINT Software, accessdate: August 18, 2016
- Bentley Systems Announces Two Significant Acquisitions to Launch Its ’AssetWise’ Initiative for: Bentley Systems Announces Two Significant Acquisitions to Launch Its ’AssetWise’ Initiative for, accessdate: August 18, 2016
- Offshore Energy Today: www.offshoreenergytoday.com/usa-bentley-systems-acquires-sacs-software-for-offshore-structural-analysis/, accessdate: August 18, 2016
- ITWeb: www.itweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=49150, accessdate: August 18, 2016
- Philadelphia Business Journal: Bentley Systems buys 2 software companies - Philadelphia Business Journal, accessdate: August 18, 2016
- Automation.com: www.automation.com/automation-news/industry/bentley-acquires-elcosystem-software, accessdate: August 18, 2016
- Bentley Acquires InspectTech: Bentley Acquires InspectTech, accessdate: August 18, 2016
- ConstructionWeekOnline.com: Bentley acquires Canadian-based Ivara Bentley acquire Canadian-based Ivara | ConstructionWeekOnline.com, accessdate: September 7, 2016
- Two Bentley acquisitions highlight emerging infrastructure data tsunami : GraphicSpeak: Two Bentley acquisitions highlight emerging infrastructure data tsunami : GraphicSpeak, accessdate: August 18, 2016
- Business Wire: Bentley’s Acquisition of SpecWave Brings Enterprise-level Information Management for Specification Services, Spanning Project and Asset Lifecycles | Business Wire, accessdate: August 18, 2016
- Bentley Acquires topoGRAPH, a Leader in Surveying Software: https://www.bentley.com/en/about-us/news/2013/march/14/char-pointer, accessdate: August 18, 2016
- World Maritime News: worldmaritimenews.com/archives/94704/bentley-acquires-moses-software-business-from-ultramarine/, accessdate: August 18, 2016
- VARINDIA IT Magazine, Bentley acquires DocQnet Systems' eB Services Biz: VARINDIA IT Magazine, Bentley acquires DocQnet Systems' eB Services Biz, accessdate: August 18, 2016
- Geospatial World: Bentley acquires SITEOPS for BIM advancement - Geospatial World, accessdate: August 18, 2016
- Bentley buys C3global for predictive modeling : GraphicSpeak: Bentley buys C3global for predictive modeling, accessdate: August 18, 2016
- Bentley acquires Acute3D to extend Reality Modeling portfolio : GraphicSpeak: Bentley acquires Acute3D to extend Reality Modeling portfolio, accessdate: August 18, 2016
- Bentley acquires S-Cube Futuretech Pvt. Ltd.https://www.vccircle.com/bentley-systems-acquires-vc-backed-software-products-firm-s-cube-futuretech/
- "Bentley buys S-Cube".
- "Form S-1: Registration Statement". United States Securities and Exchange Commission. April 23, 2002. Retrieved November 11, 2016.
- "Form RW: Registration Withdrawal Request". United States Securities and Exchange Commission. September 16, 2002. Retrieved November 11, 2016.
- Joseph N. DiStefano (November 10, 2016). "Siemens invests $130 million in Bentley Systems, pre-IPO". Philly.Com. Retrieved November 11, 2016.
- Google Search: https://www.google.com/search?tbm=bks&q=bentley+institute+press, accessdate: September 8, 2016
- Amazon.com: bentley institute press: Books: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=bentley+institute+press, accessdate: September 8, 2016
- Bentley Infrastructure 500 Index
- Official website
- Patents Owned by Bentley Systems
- The Engineering Design Revolution : The People, Companies and Computer Systems That Changed Forever the Practice of Engineering, By David E. Weisberg - Chapter 10: Bentley Systems Incorporated
- Bentley Systems at 30 -- no slowing down
- UK Platinum Channel Partner - Cadventure Ltd http://www.cadventure.co.uk