Benjamin Young Prime (December 20, 1733 – October 31, 1791) was an American poet, essayist, and songwriter.
Prime was born on Long Island. He graduated from the College of New Jersey in 1751; he matriculated June 12, 1764 at the University of Leiden in the Netherlands  and took his medical degree at the same University July 7, 1764. The title description of his thesis is: Dissertatio medica inauguralis, de fluxu muliebri menstruo quam ... pro gradu doctoratus ... eruditorum examini submittit Benjaminus Young Prime ... ad diem 7. Julii MDCCLXIV, h.l.q.s… - Lugduni Batavorum : Apud Theodorum Haak,1764. - 46 p. ; 24 cm    He wrote essays in Hebrew, Greek, Latin, French, and Spanish, and many songs and ballads which were very popular during the American Revolutionary War. Among his publications are The Patriot Muse, or Poems on Some of the Principal Events of the Late War, by an American; Columbia's Glory, or British Pride Humbled; A Poem on the American Revolution; Muscipula Cambryomachia.
- This article incorporates text from the International Cyclopedia of 1890, a publication now in the public domain.
|This American poet–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
- Album Studiosorum Academiae Lugduno Batavae MDLXXV-MDCCCLXXV, kol. 1081.
- Index to English speaking students who have graduated at Leyden university / by Edward Peacock, F.S.A. - London : For the Index society, by Longmans, Green & co. 1883, p. 80, 1081.
- Bronnen tot de geschiedenis der Leidsche Universiteit, vijfde deel, 10 Febr. 1725-8 Febr. 1765 : Catalogus promotorum ex die 13 Februarii anni 1725 / P.C. Molhuysen. -'s-Gravenhage : Martinus Nijhoff, 1921, p. 310*.
- English-speaking students of medicine at the University of Leyden / R.W. Innes Smith. - Edinburgh/London : Oliver and Boyd, 1932, p. 187.
- Bibliotheca Medica Neerlandica, vol. I, p. 354.
- Kaiser, Leon M. Contributions to a census of American Latin Prose, 1634-1800 - In: Humanistica Lovaniesia : Journal of Neo-Latin Studies, Vol. 31, 1982, p. 178.
- National Union Catalogue: NP 0580728; DNLM; CtY-M