Ben Goertzel after giving a talk at the 2009 Humanity+ Summit in Irvine, California
Ben Goertzel (born December 8, 1966), is the founder and CEO of SingularityNET, a blockchain-based AI marketplace project. Goertzel is also the chief scientist of financial prediction firm Aidyia Holdings; chairman of AI software company Novamente LLC, a privately held software company; chairman of the Artificial General Intelligence Society and the OpenCog Foundation; vice chairman of futurist nonprofit Humanity+; scientific advisor of biopharma firm Genescient Corp.; advisor to Singularity University; research professor in the Fujian Key Lab for Brain-Like Intelligent Systems at Xiamen University of Technology, China; chair of the Artificial General Intelligence (AGI) conference series, and an American author and researcher in the field of artificial intelligence. He was the Director of Research of the Machine Intelligence Research Institute (formerly the Singularity Institute).
Goertzel is the son of Ted Goertzel, a former professor of sociology at Rutgers University. He left high school after the tenth grade to attend Bard College at Simon's Rock, where he graduated with a bachelor's degree in Quantitative Studies. Goertzel went on to obtain a Ph.D. in mathematics from Temple University in 1989. He was the Chief Scientist of Hanson Robotics, the company that created the robot Sophia, until early 2019.
Views on AI
In May 2007, Goertzel spoke at a Google Tech talk about his approach to creating Artificial General Intelligence. He defines intelligence as the ability to detect patterns in the world and in the agent itself, measurable in terms of emergent behavior of "achieving complex goals in complex environments". A "baby-like" artificial intelligence is initialized, then trained as an agent in a simulated or virtual world such as Second Life to produce a more powerful intelligence. Knowledge is represented in a network whose nodes and links carry probabilistic truth values as well as "attention values", with the attention values resembling the weights in a neural network. Several algorithms operate on this network, the central one being a combination of a probabilistic inference engine and a custom version of evolutionary programming. Goertzel claimed that this combination is able to avoid the combinatorial explosions that both these algorithms suffer from when exposed to large problems.
2009: Goertzel and Hugo de Garis starred in a 45-minute documentary called Singularity or Bust
2014: Goertzel appeared on the American science documentary television series, Through the Wormhole (episode 1, season 5)
2016: Goertzel starred in the British-Israeli documentary film, Machine of Human Dreams
2019: Goertzel appeared on Teamz Blockchain Summit at Tokyo, on April 6.
2019: Goertzel hold a lecture at Budapest Brain Bar
2019: Goertzel participated in a Blockchain panel at ConnectTechAsia in Singapore
- "The Singularity Institute's Scary Idea (and Why I Don't Buy It)", The Multiverse According to Ben, 29 October 2010
- Pauling's Prizes, The New York Times, 5 November 1995
- Goertzel, Benjamin (1985). Nonclassical Arithmetics and Calculi. Simon's Rock of Bard College.
- Google Tech Talk by Ben Goertzel, 30 May 2007
- Roberts, Jacob (2016). "Thinking Machines: The Search for Artificial Intelligence". Distillations. 2 (2): 14–23. Archived from the original on 19 August 2018. Retrieved 22 March 2018.
- "Online worlds to be AI incubators", BBC News, 13 September 2007
- "Virtual worlds making artificial intelligence apps 'smarter'" Archived October 21, 2007, at the Wayback Machine, Computerworld, 13 September 2007
- "Patterns, Hypergraphs and Embodied General Intelligence", Ben Goertzel, WCCI Panel Discussion: "A Roadmap to Human-Level Intelligence"[permanent dead link], July 2006
- "The Singularity: A Documentary by Doug Wolens". Ieet.org. Retrieved 2013-10-22.
- "Pondering Our Cyborg Future in a Documentary About the Singularity – Kasia Cieplak-Mayr von Baldegg". The Atlantic. 2013-01-08. Retrieved 2013-10-22.
- "Joe Rogan Experience #1211 - Dr. Ben Goertzel". The Joe Rogan Experience. December 4, 2018. Retrieved December 4, 2018.
- "Ben Goertzel: SingularityNET – The Global AI Network and Marketplace". Epicenter. February 20, 2019. Retrieved February 22, 2019.
- Konno, Katsuya (2019-03-25). "TEAMZ Blockchain Summit Tokyo (Conference)". TEAMZ Blockchain Summit Tokyo (Conference). Retrieved 2019-04-21.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ben Goertzel.|