Ben Bowen in studio, 2011
|Born||5 June 1976|
|Genres||Children's music |
|Associated acts||Western Terrestrial |
Great Aunt Ida
Ronley Teper's Lipliners
Ben Bowen (born 5 June 1976 in England) is a Canadian trumpet player and children's musician from Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Bowen studied jazz trumpet at York University and Humber College. He is a session musician for various other bands and as of 2011 has been involved in 29 studio albums.
Breaking from his role as horn-player, in December 2011 he released a 5-song debut EP of traditional children's songs entitled The Bumblebee EP, which one reviewer called "wonderfully gentle and soothing." Bowen sings and plays guitar on this recording, backed by his sister Anna Bowen on accordion and vocals, and his brother-in-law Ben on mandolin and vocals. It was recorded by singer-songwriter Nick Zubeck at Cardinal Song studios in Guelph, and released on iTunes.
- The Bumblebee EP (2012)
- Let's Sing A Song (vol.1) (2017)
- Beautiful Day (2017)
- Let's Sing A Song (vol.2) (2017)
- O Watch the Stars (2018)
- Sleep Now - lullabies (2019)
Over the past ten years Bowen has worked on numerous albums as a session musician. He has played and recorded with a number of notable Canadian artists, including Lily Frost, Great Aunt Ida, Junetile, A Northern Chorus, Valery Gore, Nick Zubeck, Brian MacMillan, Bellewoods, and Old World Vulture.
- Danny Medakovic − Jolley Cut (2014)
- Old World Vulture − Trophy Lovers (2012)
- Great Aunt Ida − Nuclearize Me (2012)
- Valery Gore − Avalanche to Wandering Bear (2008) trumpet on Scared, Great Lakes and Sparrow
- A Northern Chorus − The Millions Too Many (2007) brass on The Millions Too Many, No Stations, Canadian Shield and Ethic of the Pioneer
- "Interview with Ben Bowen". Who Hub.
- "Ben Bowen". CBC Radio 3. Archived from the original on 13 July 2010.
- "One-on-One with Ben Bowen". Michael Thomas.
- "Nick Zubeck". Nick Zubeck.
- "Discography". Ben Bowen. Archived from the original on 17 September 2011. Retrieved 22 January 2012.
- "Ben Bowen". All about Jazz. Archived from the original on 6 July 2012.
- "Dan Medakovic's New Album "Jolley Cut" Has Some Nice Gems". Greater Hamilton Musician.
- "index". oldworldvulture.ca.
- "Album Credits". greatauntida.ca/GAI-credits.htm. Archived from the original on 10 April 2013.
- "Do Right Music webpage". dorightmusic.com. Archived from the original on 30 April 2012. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Valery Gore". mp3.com webpage. Archived from the original on 1 November 2011. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- Harper, Kate. "Valery Gore Starts An Avalanche". Chart Attack.
- "Updates Northern Chorus". Toronto Music Scene. Archived from the original on 11 June 2008.