|Belair railway line|
A 3000 class railcar exiting Sleeps Hill Tunnel.
|Locale||Adelaide, South Australia|
|Rolling stock||3000/3100 class|
|Electrified||January–July 2013 (to Goodwood)|
|Line length||21.5 km (13.4 mi)|
|Number of tracks|
|Track gauge||1,600 mm (5 ft 3 in)|
|Electrification||25 kV AC overhead|
The Adelaide-Wolseley line from Adelaide to Belair and Bridgewater opened in 1883. In 1919, a new alignment was built around Sleeps Hill as part of the duplication of the line. This involved a new double track tunnel being built to replace two tunnels and two viaducts. The new alignment was also 400 metres shorter. On 18 June 1928, the line was duplicated from Eden Hills to Blackwood and on to Belair on 24 June 1928.
Passenger services stopped beyond Belair on 23 September 1987. In 1995, the track used by Adelaide bound services was converted to standard gauge as part of the Adelaide to Melbourne standardisation project. The broad gauge passenger services south of Goodwood were thus restricted to one track with crossing loops located at Mitcham, Sleeps Hill, Eden Hills and Blackwood. At the same time, the stations at Millswood, Hawthorn and Clapham were closed to speed up services. Millswood was later reopened on 12 October 2014.
Re-sleepering and electrification
In 2008, the State Government announced a plan to rebuild the Belair line. This work saw the track removed, with the track bed and track renewed. Dual gauge sleepers were laid to allow for the line to be converted to standard gauge at a future date. Unlike other lines is not planned in the immediate future due to extra engineering work and complications with the standard gauge line. The line closed on 26 April 2009 and reopened on 23 August 2009 with buses replacing trains.
The Belair line was closed from 1 January 2013 to 14 July 2013 to allow electrification of the line from Adelaide to Goodwood (built concurrently with electrification of the adjacent Seaford line) and construction of a grade separation at Goodwood Junction with relatively little work performed on the Belair line itself.
All services are operated by Adelaide Metro's 3000 class railcars. Until June 2007, some services on weekends were operated by a 2000 class railcar modified to incorporate increased bike capacity. In 2005, trains ran the route every 30 minutes on weekdays (hourly after 7pm) and every 60 minutes on weekends and public holidays. From 2006, because of the single line, this was downgraded to every 36/24 minutes on weekdays.
The standard gauge track is owned by the Australian Rail Track Corporation and continues beyond Belair as the Adelaide-Wolseley railway line. The track is used by freight trains operated by One Rail Australia, Pacific National and SCT Logistics, and by the twice-weekly Overland service to Melbourne operated by Journey Beyond.
|Year opened||Serving suburbs||Connections|
|Adelaide||0.0 km||1856||Adelaide||Train transfers to Gawler, Outer Harbor,|
Grange, Seaford & Flinders lines
|Mile End||2.0 km||1898||Mile End|
|Adelaide Showground||4.0 km||2014||Keswick, Wayville|
|Goodwood||5.0 km||1883||Forestville, Goodwood||Train transfers to Seaford & Flinders lines|
|Unley Park||7.0 km||1910s||Hawthorn, Unley Park, Westborne Park||Bus transfers|
|Mitcham||8.5 km||1883||Lower Mitcham||Bus transfers|
|Torrens Park||9.3 km||1914||Lower Mitcham, Torrens Park||Bus transfers|
|Lynton||10.7 km||1946||Clapham, Lynton|
|Eden Hills||14.2 km||1912||Eden Hills|
|Blackwood||18.1 km||1883||Blackwood||Bus transfers|
|Glenalta||19.3 km||??||Blackwood, Glenalta|
- Clapham – opened 1910s, relocated 1917, closed 1995.
- Hawthorn – opened 1910s, closed 1995.
- Keswick – opened 1913, closed 2013.
- Mile End Goods – closed 1994.
- Showground Central – opened 2005 for seasonal use, closed 2013.
- Sleeps Hill – opened 1909, closed 1946.
Blackwood station in 2007; bus Interchange can be seen on the left
- Sleep's Hill Reserve Archived 15 April 2018 at the Wayback Machine City of Mitcham
- Callaghan, WH (1992). The Overland Railway. Sydney: Australian Railway Historical Society. pp. 124, 217, 239. ISBN 0 909650 29 2.
- Adelaide's Millswood Station reopens after almost 20 years ABC News 13 October 2014
- 2008/09 State Budget Archived 27 February 2015 at the Wayback Machine South Australian Department of Treasury & Finance June 2008
- Belair Line Renewal Adelaide Metro
- Goodwood Junction upgrade Archived 13 August 2018 at the Wayback Machine Department of Planning, Transport & Infrastructure
- Goodwood Junction Rail Grade Separation Archived 22 January 2015 at the Wayback Machine York Civil