|Studio album by|
|Released||June 26, 1989|
|Recorded||1988–1989, 1987 ("Still in Love" original session)|
|Patti LaBelle chronology|
|Singles from Be Yourself|
Be Yourself is the ninth solo album by American singer Patti LaBelle, released in 1989 on the MCA label, her second album with the company following 1986's platinum hit, Winner in You. The album features the single, "If You Asked Me To" (a US R&B top 10 single by LaBelle, later covered by Celine Dion), which is also featured on the soundtrack to the James Bond movie, Licence to Kill, and the top ten Prince-written hit, "Yo Mister". The album marked LaBelle's foray into new jack swing music with the tracks, "I Got It Like That", produced by Full Force and the aforementioned "Yo Mister".
- "If You Asked Me To" – 3:58 (Diane Warren)
- "I Can't Complain" – 5:08 (Sami McKinney, Raymond Jones)
- "Be Yourself" – 5:40 (Bunny Hull, Thelma Houston, Jeff Hull)
- "Yo Mister" – 5:08 (Prince)
- "I Got It Like That" – 5:38 (Full Force)
- "Love 89" – 5:09 (Prince, Sheena Easton)
- "Still in Love" – 4:36 (Narada Michael Walden, Jeffrey Cohen)
- "I'm Scared of You" – 4:46 (Allan Dennis Rich, Alan Roy Scott)
- "Can't Bring Me Down" – 4:13 (Tena Clark, Gary Prim)
- "Need a Little Faith" – 4:00 (Burt Bacharach, Carole Bayer Sager)
- "I Can Fly" – 5:22 (Theodore McLean, Budd Ellison, Patti LaBelle)
Personnel and production
- Track 1 arranged by Aaron Zigman. Produced by Stewart Levine. Recorded and mixed by Darren Klein. Bunny Hull, Paulette Brown, Valerie Pinkston-Mayo: backing vocals; Michael Landau: guitars; Aaron Zigman: keyboards, synthesizers; Lenny Castro: percussion
- Track 2 arranged and produced by Raymond Jones and Sami McKinney. Recorded and mixed by Larry Fergusson. Gerald Albright: saxophone; Raymond Jones: keyboards; Larry Robinson: drum programming
- Tracks 3, 9 & 11 produced by James Ellison. Tracks 3 and 9 arranged by James Ellison; track 11 arranged by Nathaniel Wilkie. Recorded and mixed by Bob Fintz and Joe Tarsia; tracks 3 and 11 remixed by Louie Silas. Annette Hardeman, Desiree Coleman, Paula Holloway, Thelma Houston, Charlene Holloway, Deborah Dukes, Freddie Washington, Gabriel Hardeman Jr., O.J. Smallwood: backing vocals; James Ellison: keyboards, percussion; Nathaniel Wilke: keyboards, synthesizers; George Duke: piano; James Herbert Smith: guitars; Lenny Castro: percussion; Jim Salamone: drum programming
- Tracks 4 and 6 arranged, produced and played by Prince. Recorded, mixed and remixed by Timmy Regisford.
- Track 5 arranged, produced, recorded and mixed by Full Force. Full Force: all instruments, backing vocals; Lisa Lisa, Cheryl "Pepsii" Riley: backing vocals
- Track 7 arranged by Jerry Hey. Produced by Narada Michael Walden. Recorded and mixed by David Frazer. Claytoven Richardson, Jim Gilstrap, Kitty Beethoven, Melisa Kary: backing vocals; Corrado Rustici: guitars; David Sancious, Walter Afanasieff: keyboards; Randy Jackson: Moog Prodigy synth bass; Kenny G: saxophone; Narada Michael Walden: drums, drum programming; Greg Gonaway: cymbals and percussion
- Track 8 arranged and produced by Alan Roy Scott and Alan Dennis Rich. Lyndie White, Mona Rae Campbell, Ronee Martin: backing vocals; Mark Leggett: guitars; Brad Cole: keyboards; Dominic Genova: bass; Tom Walsh: drums, percussion
- Track 10 arranged and produced by Burt Bacharach and Carole Bayer Sager. Recorded and mixed by Mick Guzauski. Joe Pizzulo, Julia, Maxine and Oren Waters, Phil Perry, Stephanie Spruill: backing vocals; Randy Kerber: piano; Michael Boddicker: synthesizers; Dann Huff: guitars; Neil Stubenhaus: bass; Jeff Porcaro: drums; Lenny Castro: percussion
- "Be Yourself - Patti LaBelle - Songs, Reviews, Credits - AllMusic". Retrieved 25 April 2017.
- "Patti LaBelle Be Yourself (MCA) (STAR)(STAR)(STAR..." Retrieved 25 April 2017.
- "RollingStone.com - Patti LaBelle Recordings". 4 May 2002. Archived from the original on 4 May 2002. Retrieved 25 April 2017.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "Patti LaBelle - Be Yourself". Retrieved 25 April 2017.