|Died||August 2, 1977 (aged 57)|
|Occupation||Production artist, graphic artist|
|Known for||Advertising, book design, branding, illustration, page layout, typography|
Percy Bartley Powell (Bartley Powell) was a graphic designer for Great Britain from the 1940s to 1977, a professional within the graphic design and graphic arts industry. During his career, he created graphics and illustrations for books, postal stamps, advertising, and annual reports.
Powell's career started during his service in the Royal Air Force. He held various teaching posts from 1944 to 1977, as a regular part-time Lecturer. While stationed in New Delhi, India he taught evening classes at Sarada Ukil School of Art  from 1944 to 1946. When he returned to England he started a position as a Trade Mark Designer for Kaumagraph Co located in Manchester. From 1949 to 1954 he was the Typographer at The Cloister Press, Ltd., Manchester. From 1954 to 1956 he was Senior Designer at Newman Neame, Ltd. London.
Bartley Powell was born June 13, 1920, 30 Green End Road, Burnage, Manchester, England. He attended the Peacock School 1925 to 1934 and private education 1934 - 1936. Married Iris Joan Cavanaugh on 30 October 1954, in Manchester, moved to Kew, Surrey. Soon after they had one son Glyn Bartley Powell in 1956.
Books illustrated by Powell
- Dr. J. Bronowski, Atomic Fusion, Illustrated by Bartley Powell, Published by Newman Neame Take Home Books Ltd.
- Henry Smith F.H.C.I., F.I.B.B., F.A.H.I. Caterers Guide to Turkey. Illustration of Turkey on back cover. Published by The British Turkey Federation Limited, Designed by W.S. Cowell Limited Butter Market Ipswich.
- L. E. Snellgrove, Illustrations of airplanes From Kitty Hawk to Outer Space, The story of the aeroplane. London: Made and printed by William Clowes and Son, 1960.
- 1 August 1949, Awarded the National Diploma in Design from the Ministry of Education.
- 1966, Awarded 'The Society of Industrial Artists'. This entitled him to use (Fellow Society of Industrial Artists) F.S.I.A.
- March 1974, received the certificate of excellence from Deco Press for the most impressive contemporary trademarks of the world.
|1948||Staff Association Exhibition||Regional College of Art, Manchester||Spanish Child (Charcoal)|
|1949||Spring Exhibition Manchester Academy of Fine Arts||City Art Gallery Manchester||Portrait of a Destitute|
|1950||Manchester Academy of Fine Arts Exhibition||City Art Gallery Manchester||Ruins|
|1951||Exhibition of Drawings and Paintings by Artist from Stockport and District||War Memorial Buildings Stockport||Maria Jesus Clements—Avila|
Bartley Powell designed many stamps over the years of his career. Turks and Caicos Islands is an example of his work.
H. M. Forces Royal Air Force 1940-1946
Death and legacy
Died August 2, 1977.
- "Vintage Scans: Atomic Fusion by Dr J Bronowski, Illustrated by Bartley Powell". Vintage Scans.
- ^ Snellgrove, L.E. (1960). From Kitty Hawk to Outer Space. Illustrated by Bartley Powell and Andrew Dodds. Great Britain: Longmans.
-  Sarada Ukil School of Art