The Lord Jones
Jones in 2018
|Shadow Secretary of State for Wales|
9 January 1989 – 18 July 1992
|Preceded by||Alan Williams|
|Succeeded by||Ann Clwyd|
31 October 1983 – 13 July 1987
|Preceded by||Denzil Davies|
|Succeeded by||Alan Williams|
|Member of Parliament|
for Alyn and Deeside
East Flintshire (1970–1983)
18 June 1970 – 14 May 2001
|Preceded by||Eirene White|
|Succeeded by||Mark Tami|
|Born||26 June 1938|
Stephen Barry Jones, Baron Jones Labour Party politician.(born 26 June 1938) is a British
Jones was educated at Hawarden Grammar School and Bangor College of Education. A teacher, he was president of the Flint County National Union of Teachers. He also served for two years in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers.
Jones first stood for Parliament in Northwich in 1966 without success, although he reduced the Conservative majority from 4,385 to 703, and was the Member of Parliament (MP) for East Flintshire from 1970 to 1983.
In 1994 Jones was appointed by the Prime Minister as a member of the then new Intelligence and Security Committee, on which he served until 2001; when the Committee was dissolved at that year's general election, Jones retired from the House of Commons and was made a life peer with the title Baron Jones, of Deeside in the County of Clwyd, as was Dale Campbell-Savours, who had served on the Committee since 1997. Jones was replaced as Alyn and Deeside MP by Mark Tami.
Lord Jones was elected Vice President of the charity Attend in 2013 and currently holds this position.
- The Queen's Birthday Honours: Norma Major honoured for fundraising, BBC News, 12 June 1999. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- "No. 56271". The London Gazette. 11 July 2001. p. 8179.
- "Lord Barry Jones to become President". Glyndŵr University. 8 August 2007. Archived from the original on 7 August 2011.
- "Celebration for newest university", BBC Wales News, 28 February 2009. Retrieved 1 November 2013.
- Goodban, David (20 June 2012). "Lord Barry Jones appointed president of Deeside Industrial Park business forum". northwales. Retrieved 25 February 2017.
- "News Archive". siryfflint.gov.uk. Retrieved 25 February 2017.
- Army Cadet Force
- "Lord Barry Jones". BBC Wales.[full citation needed]
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament for East Flintshire
|New constituency|| Member of Parliament for Alyn and Deeside
|Orders of precedence in the United Kingdom|
The Lord MacGregor of Pulham Market
The Lord King of Bridgwater