|Former County constituency|
for the House of Commons
|Number of members||one|
|Replaced by||Chipping Barnet and South Hertfordshire|
|Created from||St Albans|
History and boundaries
The House of Commons (Redistribution of Seats) Act 1944 set up Boundaries Commissions to carry out periodic reviews of the distribution of parliamentary constituencies. It also authorised an initial review to subdivide abnormally large constituencies (those exceeding an electorate of 100,000) in time for the 1945 election. This was implemented by the Redistribution of Seats Order 1945 under which Hertfordshire was allocated an additional seat. As a consequence, the new County Constituency of Barnet was formed from the St Albans constituency, comprising the Urban Districts of Barnet and East Barnet, and the Rural District of Elstree.
In 1965 the Barnet and East Barnet urban districts were transferred to Greater London, becoming part of the London Borough of Barnet, while Elstree Rural District remained part of Hertfordshire. This did not affect parliamentary boundaries for nine years, however.
When seats were next redistributed, with effect from the February 1974 general election, the Greater London parts of the old constituency moved to the new Borough Constituency of Chipping Barnet. The Elstree Rural District was transferred to the new County Constituency of South Hertfordshire.
Members of Parliament
|Feb 1974||constituency abolished|
Election in the 1940s
Elections in the 1950s
|Liberal||William Herbert Jones||6,441||10.42||−1.0|
|Conservative gain from Labour||Swing||+9.4|
|Labour Co-op||Cyril Rawlett Fenton||22,375||35.88|
|Liberal||William Herbert Jones||4,463||7.22|
|Labour||Reginald M Prideaux||19,737||37.33|
Elections in the 1960s
|Labour||David H. P. Levy||17,024||32.28|
|Liberal||Hugh Russell Tinker||10,172||19.29||New|
|Liberal||Hugh Russell Tinker||8,539||16.2||-3.1|
Election in the 1970s
|Labour||Joan E. M. Baker||18,166||35.38|
|Liberal||John D. O. Henchley||6,329||12.33|
References and sources
- Gay, Oonagh (2010-07-28). "The Rules for the Redistribution of Seats- history and reform". Cite journal requires
- S., Craig, Fred W. (1972). Boundaries of parliamentary constituencies 1885-1972;. Chichester: Political Reference Publications. ISBN 0900178094. OCLC 539011.
- The Parliamentary Constituencies (England) Order 1970 (S.I. 1970 No. 1674)
- The Times' Guide to the House of Commons. 1951.
- Boundaries of Parliamentary Constituencies 1885-1972, compiled and edited by F.W.S. Craig (Parliamentary Reference Publications 1972)
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "B" (part 1)
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Constituency represented by the Chancellor of the Exchequer
Cardiff South East