|Baldwin III, Count of Hainaut|
|Noble family||House of Flanders|
|Spouse(s)||Yolande of Guelders|
|Father||Baldwin II, Count of Hainaut|
|Mother||Ida of Louvain|
Baldwin succeeded to the county of Hainaut in 1102. Baldwin married Yolande of Guelders at a young age. He had been betrothed to Adelaide of Maurienne, a niece of Countess Clemence of Flanders. The broken betrothal caused a scandal, and Countess Clemence brought the issue before her brother Pope Calixtus II. The pope declared that the marriage was legal and could not be dissolved.
Baldwin died at a young age of c. 33 in 1120, and was buried in Mons, Belgium. His eldest son Baldwin succeeded him as Baldwin IV, Count of Hainaut. His younger son Gerard inherited the counties of Dodewaard and Dale, which had been in the possession of his mother. Countess Yolande held Hainaut as her dower for a while and as a regent for her son.
He was married to Yolande of Guelders, daughter of Gerard I, Count of Guelders. Their children were:
- Ida de Hainaut
- Baldwin IV, Count of Hainaut, married Alix (Adelaide) de Namur.
- Gerhard of Hainaut, ancestor of the Counts of Dale.
- Gertrude/Ida of Hainaut, married before 9 August 1138 to Roger of Tosny of Conches and Flamsted.
- Richildis of Hainaut, married: 1) Thierry d'Avesnes; 2) Everard II Radulf, Castellan of Tournai.
After Baldwin's death, Countess Yolande married Godfrey II, Lord of Ribemont and Bouchain, Castellan of Valenciennes and the son of Anselm of Ribemont in ca 1120. Yolande and Godfrey II had two children:
- Godfrey III, Castellan of Valenciennes
- Berthe of Valenciennes, who married 1) Count Otto II of Duras and 2) Guy de Saint-Aubert
- Ancestral Roots of Certain American Colonists Who Came to America Before 1700, Frederick Lewis Weis (lines 98A-25, 163-25 160-23, 163-24, 163-26)
- Gislebertus (of Mons), Laura Napran, Chronicle of Hainaut, 2005
- Heather J. Tanner, Families, friends, and allies: Boulogne and politics in northern France and England, c. 879-1160, Brill, 2004
Baldwin III, Count of HainautBorn: 1088 Died: 1120
| Count of Hainaut
|This biographical article of a European noble is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|