Tea plantation in Haputale
Map of Sri Lanka with Badulla District highlighted
Map of Badulla district showing its administrative areas
|• Governor||Hon. C. Nanda Mathew|
|• Chief Minister of Uva Provincial Council||Hon. Shashindra Rajapakse|
|• Secretary of District||Rohana Keerthi Dissanayake.|
|• Headquarters||Badulla Districts Secretariat|
|• Total||2,861 km2 (1,105 sq mi)|
|• Density||310/km2 (800/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+05:30 (Sri Lanka)|
|ISO 3166 code||LK-81|
|Languages||Sinhala, Tamil, English|
Badulla (Sinhala: බදුල්ල දිස්ත්රික්කය badūlla distrikkaya; Tamil: பதுளை மாவட்டம் Patuḷai māvaṭṭam) is a district in Uva Province, Sri Lanka. The entire land area of the Badulla district is 2,861 km² and total population is 837,000. The district is bounded by the districts of Monaragala and Rathnapura on the East & South, by Ampara and Kandy districts on the North and by Nuwara Eliya and Matale on the West. Mainly the economy of the district is based on agricultural farming and livestock.
Badulla District is an agricultural district where tea, vegetable and paddy are cultivated. Mainly the district is divided into two portions as Upper region and Lower region according to climatic and geographical characteristics. Upper division of the district is famous for tea plantation and vegetable cultivation while lower division is famous for paddy cultivation.
S.Thomas' College Bandarawela, Bandarawela Central College, Dharmadutha College, UVA College, Badulla Central College, Vishaka Girls High School, Viharamahadevi Girls School, Passara National College, Passara Tamil maha vidyalayam National College, Sri Ramakrishna College, Al Adhan Maha Vidyalaya, Barathy Maha Vidyalayam, Tamils Girls maha vidyalayam and Saraswathy Central College are situated in this district.
Electorate divisions in Badulla District
- Badulla (Municipal Council)
- Bandarawela (urban Council)
- Haputale UC
(2010 estimates 887220)
Important locations in Badulla District
- Mahiyangana Raja Maha Vihara
- Muthiyangana Raja Maha Vihara, Badulla
- Army Garrison Town, Diyatalawa
- Namunukula Mountain Range
- Lipton's Seat and Adisham Bunglow in Haputale
- Railway bridge and Railway line in Demodara
- Dunhinda, Babarakanda, Diyaluma and Ravana Ella Waterfalls
- Bogoda Wooden Bridge
- Indigenous Vedda people, Dambana
- "Uva Province" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2010-11-13. Retrieved 2010-03-19.
- "Uva". Archived from the original on 2011-06-05. Retrieved 2010-03-19.
- Department of Census and Statistics,The Census of Population and Housing of Sri Lanka-2011
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Badulla District.|