|Ambassador of India to Germany|
|Preceded by||A. C. N. Nambiar|
|Ambassador of India to Iran|
30 October 1956 – 29 August 1958
|Succeeded by||Triloki Nath Kaul|
Bombay, Bombay Presidency British India
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Spouse(s)||Suraiya Badruddin Tyabji|
|Relations||see Tyabji family|
Badruddin Faiz Tyabji (1907-1995) was a senior Indian Civil Service officer, who served as Vice-Chancellor of the Aligarh Muslim University, from 1962 to 1965. While serving as a diplomat in 1948, he had undertaken the task of starting the Embassy of India, Brussels. He also served as Indian ambassador in Jakarta, Tehran, Bonn and Tokyo.
Historian Trevor Royle writes in his book The Last Days of the Raj that he designed the final form of the current National Flag of India, the tricolour with Ashoka's Dharma Chakra in the centre, and that his wife, Mrs. Surayya Tayyabji, made the first copy that flew on Nehru's car on the night of independence.
Royle writes, "By one of those contradictions which run through India’s history, the national flag was designed by a Muslim, Badr-ud-Din Tyabji. Originally the tricolour was to have contained the spinning-wheel symbol ( charkha ) used by Gandhi but this was a party symbol, which Tyabji thought might strike the wrong note. After much persuasion Gandhi agreed to the wheel because the Emperor Ashoka was venerated by Hindu and Muslim alike. The flag which flew on Nehru’s car that night had been specially made by Tyabji’s wife."
It was approved , accepted and adopted in its present form during a meeting of the Constituent Assembly held on 22 July 1947, and it became the official flag of the Dominion of India on 15 August 1947
- "Badruddin Tayabji, News Photo, The Times of India captures in". Timescontent.com. Retrieved 5 January 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "The Times of India Directory and Year Book Including Who's Who". Books.google.co.in. Retrieved 5 January 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Aligarh Muslim University || Public Relations Officer". Amu.ac.in. Retrieved 5 January 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Islam in South Asia in Practice". Books.google.co.in. p. 295. Retrieved 5 January 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Matches for Badruddin Faiz Tyabji, ICS". MyHeritage. Retrieved 5 January 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- India and the European Union Milestones -PDF
- Prince who was envoy in '47
- "Previous Indian Ambassadors to the Federal Republic of Germany". Archived from the original on 22 April 2018. Retrieved 11 April 2016.
- Brussels in winter
- Family tree of Faiz Hasan Tyabji (a Bombay High Court judge). It shows his father as Badruddin Tyabji (the Congress leader), and his son as Badruddin Tyabji (the ICS officer)