This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
A Bachelor of Mathematics is an undergraduate academic degree awarded for successfully completing a program of study in mathematics or related disciplines, such as applied mathematics, actuarial science, computer science or statistics. The Bachelor of Mathematics degree is frequently abbreviated as B.Math or BMath.
A BMath program generally lasts three years with a fourth "honours" year in China and Australia and University of Waterloo (Canada). BMath programs are increasingly taking about five years to complete because of coop or internship placements.
Difference between the BMath and BSc/BS or BA
In practice, this is essentially equivalent to a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts degree with a speciality in mathematics. Relatively few institutions award Bachelor of Mathematics degrees, and the distinction between those that do and those that award B.Sc or B.A. degrees for mathematics is usually bureaucratic, rather than curriculum related. However, schools that offer Bachelor of Mathematics degrees argue for a separate degree, maintaining that the study of mathematics is vastly different from other fields.
List of institutions awarding Bachelor of Mathematics degrees
- Flinders University, Adelaide, South Australia
- Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Queensland
- The Australian National University, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory (a Bachelor of Mathematical Sciences BMASC)
- University of Adelaide, Adelaide, South Australia (a Bachelor of Mathematical Sciences BMathSc or Bachelor of Mathematical and Computer Sciences BMath&CompSc)
- University of Newcastle, Newcastle, New South Wales
- University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland
- University of South Australia, Adelaide, South Australia (a Bachelor of Mathematical Sciences BMathSc)
- University of Wollongong, Wollongong, New South Wales
- University of Dhaka, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Jagannath University, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- University of Chittagong, Chittagong, Bangladesh
- Noakhali University of Science and Technology, Noakhali, Bangladesh
- Carleton University, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
- University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada (BMath or BCS - Computer Science)
- University of Windsor, Windsor, Ontario, Canada
- Tomsk State University, Tomsk, Russia
- Voronezh State University, Voronezh, Russia
- Novosibirsk State University, Novosibirsk, Russia
- Polytechnic University of the Philippines - Taguig Campus
- University of the Philippines Los Baños
- Ateneo de Manila University
- "Study the Bachelor of Mathematical Sciences". www.flinders.edu.au. Flinders University. Retrieved 10 March 2020.
- "Bachelor of Mathematics". www.qut.edu.au. Queensland University of Technology. Retrieved 10 March 2020.
- "Bachelor of Mathematical Sciences - ANU". programsandcourses.anu.edu.au. Australian National University. Retrieved 10 March 2020.
- "Bachelor of Mathematical Sciences | Degree Finder". www.adelaide.edu.au. University of Adelaide. Retrieved 10 March 2020.
- "Bachelor of Mathematical and Computer Sciences | Degree Finder". www.adelaide.edu.au. University of Adelaide. Retrieved 10 March 2020.
- "Bachelor of Mathematics". www.newcastle.edu.au. The University of Newcastle, Australia. 13 February 2017. Retrieved 10 March 2020.
- "Bachelor of Mathematics - Future Students - University of Queensland". future-students.uq.edu.au. University of Queensland. Retrieved 10 March 2020.
- "Study Bachelor of Mathematics (Industrial and Applied Mathematics) at the University of South Australia (UniSA). Information for International students". study.unisa.edu.au. University of South Australia. Retrieved 10 March 2020.
- "Bachelor of Mathematics". documents.uow.edu.au. University of Wollongong. Retrieved 10 March 2020.