|BAFTA Award for Best Film|
|Awarded for||Excellence in cinema|
|Presented by||British Academy of Film and Television Arts|
|Currently held by||Nomadland (2020)|
The BAFTA Award for Best Film is given annually by the British Academy of Film and Television Arts and presented at the British Academy Film Awards. It has been given since the 1st BAFTA Awards, representing the best films of 1947, but until 1969 it was called the BAFTA Award for Best Film From Any Source. It is possible for films from any country to be nominated, although British films are also recognised in the category BAFTA Award for Best British Film and (since 1983) foreign-language films in BAFTA Award for Best Film Not in the English Language. As such, there have been multiple occasions of a film being nominated in two of these categories.
There has been one tie for the Best Film Award when, in 1962, Ballad of a Soldier tied with The Hustler for Best Film From Any Source. Until 1981, the award was given to the director, except in 1976 and 1977, when it was given to the producers. From 1981 to 1985, it was given solely to the producers, and then in 1986, it was shared between the Director and Producer. In 1998, it was once again given to only the producers.
In the following lists, the titles and names in bold with a dark grey background are the winners and recipients respectively; those not in bold are the nominees. The years given are those in which the films under consideration were released, not the year of the ceremony, which always takes place the following year.
Note: Between 1949–1959, 1962-1965, 1970-1976, and in 1979; Only the film itself and not producers or directors received the award and nomination.
Note: Between 1960-1961, 1966–1969, and in 1980; Only directors received the award and nomination.
Note: Between 1988-1997; Both producers and directors received the award and nomination.
Note: Between 1977-1978, 1981-1987, and since 1998; Only producers counted as winners and nominees in this category.
|Best Film||Nomadland||Chloé Zhao||Frances McDormand
|The Father||Florian Zeller||David Parfitt
|The Mauritanian||Kevin Macdonald||Adam Ackland
|United Kingdom |
|Promising Young Woman||Emerald Fennell||Josey McNamara
|The Trial of the Chicago 7||Aaron Sorkin||Stuart M. Besser
- Academy Award for Best Picture
- Critics' Choice Movie Award for Best Picture
- Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture – Drama
- Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy
- Guldbagge Award for Best Film
- Producers Guild of America Award for Best Theatrical Motion Picture
- Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture
- This information is listed as such because IMDb Archived 21 June 2014 at the Wayback Machine does not list anyone having received the award prior to 1960, and then throughout the 70s.
- Known under this title in the UK.
- Release date for The Magic Box, in IMDb.
- Released under this title in the United Kingdom, The Road only appears to have been used for publicity when the film was screened in the United States.
"Epinions List of BAFTA Award for Best Film Winners". Epinions. 5 December 2002. Archived from the original on 22 January 2007. Retrieved 12 August 2006.