Azizan Abdul Razak
|10th Menteri Besar of Kedah|
9 March 2008 – 6 May 2013
|Monarch||Abdul Halim Muadzam Shah|
|Preceded by||Mahdzir Khalid|
|Succeeded by||Mukhriz Mahathir|
|Member of the Kedah State Legislative Assembly|
for Sungai Limau
21 March 2004 – 26 September 2013
|Succeeded by||Mohd Azam Samad|
|Born||25 October 1944|
Alor Setar, Kedah, British Malaya (now Malaysia)
|Died||26 September 2013 (aged 68)|
Alor Setar, Kedah, Malaysia
|Political party||Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party (PAS) |
|Spouse(s)||Faikah Syeikh Hamzah|
|Alma mater||University of Kent|
Tan Sri Dato' Seri Diraja Ustaz Haji Azizan bin Abdul Razak (25 October 1944 – 26 September 2013) was a Malaysian politician. He was the Menteri Besar (Chief Minister) of the state of Kedah from 2008 to 2013. A member of the Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party (PAS), he was the first Chief Minister of Kedah from a party other than the United Malays National Organisation (UMNO). He held the seat of Sungai Limau in the Kedah state assembly from 2004 until his death in 2013. He was also the state commissioner for PAS in Kedah and a member of the central committee of the national party.
Azizan was elected to the State Assembly of Kedah in 2004, for the seat of Sungai Limau. In 2008 his Parti Islam Se-Malaysia (PAS) was elected to government in Kedah, leading a coalition with the People's Justice Party (PKR) and the Democratic Action Party (DAP). Azizan, as the leader of PAS in the state, became the first chief minister of Kedah from a party other than the United Malays National Organisation (UMNO); the 2008 victory broke a decades-long run of uninterrupted UMNO rule. On 16 July 2008, he was conferred the Darjah Seri Paduka Mahkota Kedah (SPMK) which carried the "Datuk Seri" title. The award was presented by Sultan Abdul Halim Muadzam Shah at Istana Anak Bukit in conjunction with the sultan's Golden Jubilee celebration.
Azizan had 14 children from two marriages. He is a graduate of Al-Azhar University and the University of Kent, and a former head of the sharia law department of the National University of Malaysia. He conversed fluently in Malay, English, and Arabic.
2013: Kedah State Assembly - Sungai Limau
- Azizan Abdul Razak (PAS) 13,294
- Mohd Fazillah Mohd Ali (BN) 10,520
- Sobri Ahmad (BEBAS) 100
- Abdullah Hashim (BEBAS) 84
2008: Kedah State Assembly - Sungai Limau
- Azizan Abdul Razak (PAS) 12,028
- Basorri Abu Hassan (BN) 8,816
2004: Kedah State Assembly - Sungai Limau
- Azizan Abdul Razak (PAS) 10,882
- Suhaimi Abdullah (BN) 9,802
Honours of Malaysia
- Malaysia :
- Kedah :
- Portal Kerajaan Negeri Kedah Archived 5 May 2008 at the Wayback Machine
- New Kedah MB sworn in (updated)
- Sultan's Golden Jubilee Honours List Bernama.com, 16 July 2008
- "No cause for worry". The Star (Malaysia). 10 April 2008. Archived from the original on 3 June 2011. Retrieved 12 January 2010.
- Majid, Embun. "Former Kedah MB Azizan dies (Updated) - Nation | The Star Online". Thestar.com.my. Retrieved 26 September 2013.
- "Semakan Penerima Darjah Kebesaran, Bintang dan Pingat".
- "Sultanah leads honours list". The Star. 16 July 2008. Retrieved 11 November 2019.
- "Sultan Abdul Halim appoints Council of Regency to perform his duties". The Star. 13 December 2011. Retrieved 11 November 2019.
- "Tunku Bendahara Terima Darjah Kebesaran Sempena Pelantikan Sultan Kedah" (in Malay). Bernama. 13 December 2011. Retrieved 11 November 2019.
Mahdzir bin Khalid
| Menteri Besar of Kedah
9 March 2008 – 6 May 2013