|Azerbaijani National Guard|
Azərbaycan Milli Qvardiyası
National Guard troops in the Day of the Armed Forces parade in 2018
|Active||25 December 1991|
|Allegiance||President of Azerbaijan|
|Branch||Azerbaijani Armed Forces|
|Part of||Special State Protection Service of Azerbaijan|
|March||Azadlıq Marşı (Freedom's March)|
Görüş Marşı (Slow March)
|Colonel-General Vagif Akhundov (chief of SPSS)|
The Azerbaijani National Guard (Azerbaijani: Azərbaycan Milli Qvardiyası) is an armed force of the Government of Azerbaijan, and operates as a semi-independent entity. The Guard was definitely active in December 1996 but now appears to have been incorporated into the Special State Protection Service. The guard was established on the December 25, 1991. The Special State Protection Service (SSPS) of Azerbaijan is a military unit subordinate to the President of Azerbaijan. Its responsibilities include organization of the President of Azerbaijan, the protection of the National Parliament, Presidential Administration of Azerbaijan, the Cabinet of Ministers, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Azerbaijan, the Constitutional Court, the Central Election Commission and other public facilities as well as the protection of foreign heads of state on the territory of Azerbaijan. One of the most important tasks of the SSPS is the safety of the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan pipeline and the South Caucasus Pipeline. NATO is providing the service with several helicopters and vehicles in order to safeguard the pipeline.
On December 25, 1991, the National Guard was established. Initially, military service in National Guard was based on a voluntarily two-year contract. According to the presidential decree of July 31, 1992, the National Guard was expanded into the armed forces.The members of the National Guard had the honor of carrying the Flag of Azerbaijan and the Olympic flag during the Opening Ceremony of the 2015 European Games.
The missions of the Azerbaijani National Guard are:
- Protect government facilities such as the National Parliament, and the Presidential Administration of Azerbaijan.
- Protect foreign heads of state and government in Azerbaijan.
- Provide a Guard of Honour for ceremonial activities.
The members of the National Guard during the 2010 Moscow Victory Day Parade.
- Azerbaijani Armed Forces
- General Staff of Azerbaijani Armed Forces
- National Guard
- Internal Troops of Azerbaijan
- State Border Service (Azerbaijan)
- Azerbaijan Coast Guard
- Media related to National Guard of Azerbaijan on Wikimedia Commons.
- Xüsusi Dövlət Mühafizə Xidməti əməkdaşlarının peşə bayramıdır
- Milli Qvardiyanın yeni tarix səhfəsi
- Балансируя между войной и миром (in Russian)
- Heydar Aliyev's Heritage International Online Library: Speech by President of the Republic of Azerbaijan, Heydar Aliyev, the High Chief in a ceremony marking the 5th anniversary of the founding of the National Guard - National Guard headquarters in Azerbaijan, 25 December 1996 Archived 24 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine (in Russian)
- Republic of Azerbaijan - Special State Protection Service Archived 2011-07-06 at the Wayback Machine
- NATO to supply Azerbaijan and Georgia with new technical equipment
- Azərbaycan Respublikası Milli Qvardiyasının yaranmasının 5-ci ildönümü Archived July 24, 2011, at the Wayback Machine (in Azerbaijani)
- Milli Qvardiyanın 10 yaşı tamam oldu (in Azerbaijani)
|This article about a specific military unit is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Azerbaijan-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|