|Auburndale High School|
|Established||1925, 1954 (at current location)|
|School district||Polk County School District|
|Grades||9 to 12|
|Student to teacher ratio||22.35|
|Campus size||90 acres (36 ha)|
|Color(s)||Blue and Gold|
|Slogan||"Creating an extraordinary environment that inspires greatness"|
|Athletics conference||Class 6A, District 12|
Auburndale High School is a four-year public high school located in Auburndale, Florida, and a part of Polk County Public Schools. The school serves about 1,600 students from ninth through twelfth grades. The minority rate is 37% and the free/reduced lunch rate is 49%.
The school operates on a 7 period a day bell schedule, allowing for 48 minute classes with 8 minutes of passing time. Graduations are held on the football field on campus yearly. In 2012, construction was completed on a new media center, added parking, centrally-located cafeteria, and new academic buildings.
Auburndale’s first official school opened in 1890 in a building on the corner of Main Street and Bridgers Avenue. Education for grades one through eight was offered, and less than 40 students were enrolled in the school. By 1895 the city had the southernmost library and free reading room in the United States, adding culture to the city.
The first building officially constructed as a classroom was built in 1915 on the site that is now Stambaugh Middle School. A second building, built in 1925, included the addition of an auditorium that was used by the city for cultural events until 1979. All Auburndale students in grades one through twelve attended this school until 1947 when Auburndale Central Elementary opened and took the youngest students. In 1954, the school became a junior high school as students in grades nine through twelve moved to the present-day site of Auburndale High School. In 1972, Auburndale Junior High moved and opened just north of the high school and remained until 1984 when Stambaugh Middle School opened. The Auburndale Junior High (North Campus) building was added to the high school campus in the start of the 1989-1990 school year; AHS has been a 9-12 center since.
By the 2012-2013 school year, construction was completed that replaced nearly all of the original campus buildings.
In the 2010-11 school year...
- 38% of reading and 70% of math test takers met high standards
- 46% of the lowest 25% made learning gains in reading
- 63% of the lowest 25% made learning gains in reading
- 74% of test takers met the high standards in writing
- 27% of test takers met the high standards in science
Auburndale High School's school grade for the 2010-2011 school year was a "B," the first time AHS has achieved that per the Florida DOE grading system. Grades are based on FSA scores, graduation rates, participation in AP/dual enrollment courses, among other things.
Auburndale High School offers several Advanced Placement courses, such as Human Geography, World History, American History, European History, Psychology, Composition, Literature, Capstone Seminar, Capstone Research, Calculus AB, Statistics, Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Computer Science Principles, Photography, and 3D Art and Design.
Auburndale has partnered with nearby Polk State College and Keiser University to offer Dual enrollment courses; presently the school offers College Success, Comp 1, Financial Accounting and Humanities, among others.
- Derwin James- Professional football player
- Bobby Braddock - songwriter/producer
- Kevin Carden - first openly gay elected public official in West Virginia (1991)
- Chauncey Davis - professional football player
- Les Dudek - guitarist with the Allman Brothers Band
- Van Green - NFL player
- Manisha Singh, attorney and Assistant Secretary of State for Economic and Business Affairs
- Hesham Ismail - professional football player
- Glenn Martinez - professional football player
- Tracy McGrady - professional basketball player (1997)
- Kyle Ryan - professional baseball player (2010)
- "AUBURNDALE SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved May 7, 2020.
- Administration Archived April 22, 2008, at the Wayback Machine. Auburndale High School. Retrieved on 2008-05-05.
- About Auburndale High School Archived April 22, 2008, at the Wayback Machine. Auburndale High School. Retrieved on 2008-05-04.
- "State Overview: West Virginia". Gay & Lesbian Victory Institute. Retrieved 2018-05-25.
- "Chauncey Davis, DE, Florida State". USA Today. May 18, 2005. Retrieved August 30, 2014.
- "Ledger's All-Area Football Team". Lakeland Ledger. December 25, 1986. Retrieved April 19, 2014.
- "Hall didn't visit Barber". Gainesville Sun. Google News. February 13, 1987. Retrieved August 30, 2014.
- "Glenn Martinez". The Pro Football Archives. Archived from the original on 2014-09-03. Retrieved August 30, 2014.
- Cobb, Mike; Brown, Rick (June 22, 1997). "Tracy Ncgrady: The Journey to the NBA". Lakeland Ledger. Google News. pp. C1, C10. Retrieved August 30, 2014.
- Beasock, Ray (August 28, 2014). "Detroit Tigers:former Hound Kyle Ryan Headed to the Majors". The Ledger. Retrieved August 30, 2014.