|International Non-Profit Organisation|
|Founder||Michelangelo Baracchi Bonvicini, Valéry Giscard d'Estaing|
|Valéry Giscard d'Estaing, Honorary President, Michelangelo Baracchi Bonvicini, President|
Atomium – European Institute for Science, Media and Democracy (EISMD) – formerly known as Atomium Culture AISBL - is an international non-profit organisation based in Brussels. The Institute convenes European universities, media, global businesses, governments and policymakers to develop innovative initiatives and frontier thinking based on scientific evidence to provide evidence-based analysis and advice in governmental and decision-making processes.
The organisation was launched publicly in 2009 at the European Parliament in Brussels by the former French President Valéry Giscard d'Estaing and Michelangelo Baracchi Bonvicini, now Honorary President and President.
The mission is to promote a stronger connection between scientists and policy makers encouraging evidence-based policy making and to foster a stronger cooperation between academia and business.
In 2006 Atomium - European Institute for Science, Media and Democracy was formally founded under the Law of Belgium as International Non-Profit Organisation (Association International Sans But Lucratif). During its start-up, the institute involved more than twenty leading European universities and businesses as its members. Building a large network of political leaders such as Valéry Giscard d'Estaing, Felipe González, Tony Blair, Esko Aho, Jerzy Buzek, Jean-Claude Juncker, Angela Merkel. The first Secretary General of Atomium-EISMD was Bruno Le Maire, currently French Minister of Economy.
In November 2009 Atomium - European Institute for Science, Media and Democracy was officially launched publicly at the European Parliament. On 9 November 2009 Giscard d’Estaing and Baracchi Bonvicini signed the European Manifesto of Atomium - European Institute for Science, Media and Democracy.
On May 18, 2010, Giscard d’Estaing and Baracchi Bonvicini presented the Report on European Research and Innovation 2020 together with the President of the European Parliament Jerzy Buzek  and the European Commissioner for Research, Innovation and Science Máire Geoghegan-Quinn. The report presented the proposal shared by the members of the Institute to address the European Commission's research and innovation policy 
In September 2012, during the negotiations regarding the EU budget for 2014–2020, Baracchi Bonvicini and Giscard d’Estaing together with the former prime minister of Spain Felipe González Márquez, jointly signed the appeal "For a European Consciousness, For a More Competitive Europe" asking EU member states to increase the budget for research and innovation. The appeal was sent to all European prime ministers and head of governments published by numerous European newspapers including Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, El País, Il Sole 24 Ore and The Irish Times.
REIsearch is a non-profit initiative co-funded by the European Commission Nokia, Elsevier, and other Atomium partners. The aim is to connect researchers and policy makers on topics linked to scientific research in order to promote evidence-based policy making. After the launch Jean-Claude Juncker declared: "Innovation and new scientific discoveries are improving people's lives and making our economy more competitive. Science should be open and freed from its traditional ivory tower; to be discussed, submitted to critique and fed with new perspectives. That's why I warmly welcome efforts such as the REIsearch initiative to inspire fresh ideas about how to solve some of our society's most pressing problems".
In the first three years of activity REIsearch has focused on specific subject areas such as Chronic Diseases, in collaboration with European Commission's DG Sante, Next Generation Internet and Digital Skills, in collaboration with DG Connect, reaching hundreds of thousands of European citizens with its media campaigns and surveys.
In 2018 Atomium-EISMD promoted a multi-stakeholder forum bringing together key actors interested in shaping the social impact of new applications of AI, such academics, civil society organisations and the founding members Audi, Elsevier, Facebook, Fujitsu, Google, Intesa SanPaolo, Johnson & Johnson and Microsoft.
As result of the first year of activity AI4People presented at the European Parliament the "AI4People’s Ethical Framework for a Good AI Society: Opportunities, Risks, Principles, and Recommendations" during the "Towards a Good AI Society Summit" opened By Tony Blair. This work served as inspiration to the European Commission and guided the identification of the 7 Key Requirements for a Trustworthy AI presented by the Commission in April 2019.
As of 16 February 2016, this article is derived in whole or in part from Atomium - European Institute for Science, Media and Democracy. The copyright holder has licensed the content in a manner that permits reuse under CC BY-SA 3.0 and GFDL. All relevant terms must be followed. The original text was at "About Atomium"
- "Plataforma para la excelencia · ELPAÍS.com". Elpais.com. 2009-11-27. Retrieved 2011-12-13.
- "Atomium Culture: Bienenstock der Intelligenz - Atomium Culture". FAZ. 2009-11-27. Retrieved 2011-12-13.
- "27/11/2009 Official launch of platform for European excellence". Europolitics.info. 2009-11-27. Archived from the original on 2011-10-02. Retrieved 2011-12-13.
- "Presidency | Atomium - European Institute for Science, Media and Democracy". Atomiumculture.eu. 2010-05-18. Retrieved 2011-12-13.
- "EISRI Summit - Chancellor Angela Merkel".
- "Atomium EISMD Advisory Board".
- "EISRI Summit - Mr. Felipe González".
- "EISRI Summit - President J. Buzek in support of European Research".
- "Atomium - EISMD: Bruno Le Maire underlines the advantage that diversity gives Europe".
- "Researchers to share success in Europe | News | Edinburgh Global". Ed.ac.uk. 2010-06-16. Archived from the original on 2012-08-01. Retrieved 2011-12-13.
- "EISRI - Science, Media & Democracy: Mr Valéry Giscard d'Estaing".
- "Plataforma para la excelencia · ELPAÍS.com". Elpais.com. 2009-11-27. Retrieved 2011-12-13.
- "Agenda of Prof. Buzek | Jerzy Buzek". Buzek.pl. Archived from the original on 2012-04-26. Retrieved 2011-12-13.
- "Report on European research and innovation for 2020".
- "Atomium Culture: Ein Appell For a European Consciousness. For a More Competitive Europe". FAZ.NET.
- Márquez, Felipe González; d'Estaing, Valéry Giscard; Bonvicini, Michelangelo Baracchi (10 September 2012). "Por una conciencia europea" – via elpais.com.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- "Un'Europa più cosciente e competitiva - Il Sole 24 Ore".
- "Education and innovation key to prosperity, says EU body".
- "Wyborcza.pl". wyborcza.pl.
- Libre.be, La. "REIsearch, une passerelle nécessaire entre citoyens, chercheurs et décideurs politiques".
- "Participez à l'enquête en ligne: Combien de temps aimeriez-vous vivre ?". 6 October 2015.
- "Want to have a say in European health policy? Take our survey".
- Elsevier. "REIsearch platform connects researchers with citizens, media and policymakers".
- "Carlos Moedas receives . Michelangelo Baracchi Bonvicini, President of Atomium- European Institute for science, Media and Democracy, Brussels".
- "Ms Máire GEOGHEGAN-QUINN receives Michelangelo BONVICINI, President Atomium Culture, and Valéry GISCARD D'ESTAING, Honorary President, Brussels".
- "REIsearch: l'impegno dei cittadini nelle decisioni politiche".
- "REIsearch, une passerelle nécessaire entre citoyens, chercheurs et décideurs politiques".
- "Participez à l'enquête en ligne: Combien de temps aimeriez-vous vivre ?".
- "REIsearch platform connects researchers with citizens, media and policymakers".
- "REIsearch, uma ponte única entre cidadãos, cientistas e decisores políticos".
- Digital Ethics Lab. "AI4P: Europe's first global forum on the social impact of AI".
- smuhana (2018-06-14). "High-Level Expert Group on Artificial Intelligence". Shaping Europe’s digital future - European Commission. Retrieved 2020-04-05.
- "AI4People's Ethical Framework for a Good AI Society | Atomium-EISMD". Retrieved 2020-04-05.
- Floridi, Luciano; Cowls, Josh; Beltrametti, Monica; Chatila, Raja; Chazerand, Patrice; Dignum, Virginia; Luetge, Christoph; Madelin, Robert; Pagallo, Ugo; Rossi, Francesca; Schafer, Burkhard (2018-12-01). "AI4People—An Ethical Framework for a Good AI Society: Opportunities, Risks, Principles, and Recommendations". Minds and Machines. 28 (4): 689–707. doi:10.1007/s11023-018-9482-5. ISSN 1572-8641. PMC 6404626. PMID 30930541.
- "AI4People—An Ethical Framework for a Good AI Society: Opportunities, Risks, Principles, and Recommendations".
- Floridi, Luciano; Cowls, Josh; Beltrametti, Monica; Chatila, Raja; Chazerand, Patrice; Dignum, Virginia; Luetge, Christoph; Madelin, Robert; Pagallo, Ugo; Rossi, Francesca; Schafer, Burkhard (2018-11-06). "AI4People - An Ethical Framework for a Good AI Society: Opportunities, Risks, Principles, and Recommendations". Minds and Machines. Rochester, NY. 28 (4): 689–707. doi:10.1007/s11023-018-9482-5. PMC 6404626. PMID 30930541. SSRN 3284141.
- "Semantic Scholar - AI4People - An ethical framework for a good AI society". S2CID 199434252. Cite journal requires
- "European Commission – Ethics guidelines for trustworthy AI". Shaping Europe’s digital future - European Commission. 2019-04-08. Retrieved 2020-04-05.
- "Politecnico Milano - AI4People – An Ethical Framework for a Good AI Society: Opportunities, Risks, Principles, and Recommendations" (PDF).
- adham. "AI4People: Europe's first global forum on the social impact of AI". Digital Ethics Lab. Retrieved 2020-04-05.
- Atomium - European Institute for Science, Media and Democracy official website
- REIsearch Official platform
- Atomium Culture and the University of Edinburgh
- Atomium Culture at the Universitat de Barcelona
- Atomium Culture at the Universidad Autonoma de Madrid
- Atomium Culture at the University of Coimbra
- Atomium Culture at the Ecole Normale Superieure – Paris
- Atomium Culture and Lund University
- Atomium Culture at the University of Luxembourg
- Atomium Culture on EuroPolitics – The European Affairs Daily