|Athletics at the III All-Africa Games|
|Host city||Algiers, Algeria|
New events were added to the athletics program; Decathlon and pentathlon, for men and women respectively, as well as men's 20 km road walk. Three nations also won their first medals at these championships these being Tunisia, Sudan and Upper Volta.
Malian discus thrower Namakoro Niaré won his third title, being the only athlete to do so. Four athletes, two male and two female, won more than one event:
- El Kashief Hassan, Sudan (200 metres and 400 metres)
- Hannah Afriyie, Ghana (100 metres and 200 metres)
- Charlton Ehizuelen, Nigeria (long jump and triple jump)
- Modupe Oshikoya, Nigeria (high jump and long jump)
- Nagui Asaad, Egypt, won his second Gold medal in Shot Put of the All Africa Games in 1978, Algeria, after his first in 1973, All-Africa Games Algeria Nigeria.
|Totals (18 nations)||37||37||37||111|
- GBR All-Africa Games. GBR Athletics. Retrieved 2018-03-31.