The Association of Governing Bodies of Independent Schools is the supporting and advisory organisation for governing bodies of independent schools in the UK, under the sponsorship of the Independent Schools Council.
The Governing Bodies of Girls' Schools Association was formed in 1942 to represent independent girls' schools, and the Governing Bodies Association in 1944 to represent independent boys' and co-educational schools. Members were required to belong to the Headmasters' Conference (now the Headmasters' and Headmistresses' Conference), the Society of Headmasters and Headmistresses of Independent Schools, the Independent Schools Association or the Incorporated Association of Preparatory Schools. They merged in June 2002.
The association is based in Welwyn, England. The general secretary is Richard Harman. Governing bodies are admitted to membership if their heads are members of one of the following organisations:
- The Headmasters' and Headmistresses' Conference
- The Girls' Schools Association
- The Independent Association of Preparatory Schools
- The Independent Schools Association (UK)
- The Society of Headmasters & Headmistresses of Independent Schools
Schools may also apply for associate membership if they are in membership of:
- Scottish Council of Independent Schools
- Welsh Independent Schools Council
- Council of British International Schools
|This article about an education organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|