Ashwini Kumar Choubey
|Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare|
|Assumed office |
3 September 2017
|Prime Minister||Narendra Modi|
|Minister||Jagat Prakash Nadda|
|Preceded by||Faggan Singh Kulaste|
|Member of Parliament, Lok Sabha|
|Assumed office |
16 May 2014
|Preceded by||Jagada Nand Singh|
|Minister of Health|
Government of Bihar
26 November 2010 – 16 June 2013
|Preceded by||Nand Kishore Yadav|
|Succeeded by||Tej Pratap Yadav|
|Minister of Urban Development|
Government of Bihar
24 November 2005 – 26 November 2010
|Member of Bihar Legislative Assembly|
|Preceded by||Vijoy Kumar Mitra|
|Succeeded by||Ajeet Sharma|
|Born||2 January 1953|
Bhagalpur, Bihar, India
|Political party||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|Children||Arjit Shashwat Choubey & Aviral Shashwat Choubey|
|Mother||Shrimati Sudevi Devi|
|Father||Shri Sahadeo Prasad Choubey|
|Residence||New Delhi, India|
|Alma mater||Patna University|
|Profession||Social Worker & Politician|
Ashwini Kumar Choubey (born 2 January 1953) is Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare and a member of the 17th Lok Sabha. He is an Indian politician belonging to the Bharatiya Janata Party. He is a member of the 16th Lok Sabha representing Buxar (Lok Sabha constituency) and a former health minister of Bihar. He had represented the Bihar legislative assembly from Bhagalpur (Vidhan Sabha constituency) before contesting for the 16th Lok Sabha election. On 3 September 2017, he took in charge of office as Minister of State for Health in Narendra Modi's Government.
Choubey is a veteran politician from state of Bihar and elected to the Bihar Legislative Assembly for five consecutive terms. He was accredited to have built 11,000 toilets for minority and Below Poverty Line families under Swachh Bharat Mission. A slogan "Ghar-ghar Me ho Shouchalaya ka Nirman, Tabhi hoga Ladli Bitiya ka kanyadaan" given by him was a hit in Bihar and people from all caste and religion availed government provided subsidy to build toilets in their respective home.
He authored a book "Kedarnath Trasadi" based on the 2013 deluge in Uttarakhand where he got stranded with his family. He and his family managed to take shelter in the Kedarnath temple and was airlifted by a state government helicopter.
In June 2019, Children in Bihar's Muzaffarpur and adjoining districts have been plagued with Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES) which has resulted in loss of lives. In order to address the growing concern, Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan called for a media briefing. There were reports that MoS Health and Family Welfare, Ashwini Kumar Choubey was sleeping during the same.
On being questioned by the media, he said 'Main manan chintan bhi karta hoon na, main so nahi raha tha' (I contemplate also. I was not sleeping). In September 2019, Ashwini Choubey said that Cow Urine should be used in medicines and treatment of cancer, for which he was severely criticized for lack of scientific temper. He also said the former prime minister Morarji Desai used to consume cow urine as it cures various diseases.
- http://188.8.131.52/LssNew/Members/former Archived 25 June 2016 at the Wayback Machine state health minister_Biography.aspx?mpsno=4650
- "MoS for Health Ashwini Kumar Choubey flags off Organothon to support & pledge for organ donation". newsonair.com. Retrieved 21 February 2019.
- "Union minister Ashwini Kumar Choubey seeks involvement of state health ministers in National Health Mission". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 21 February 2019.
- "Union minister Ashwini Choubey cautions judiciary to avoid conflict with legislature". Hindustan Times. 14 October 2018. Retrieved 21 February 2019.
- "Bihar's Ashwini Kumar Choubey appointed MoS Health and Family Welfare". Business Standard. Press Trust of India. 3 September 2017. Retrieved 21 February 2019.
- "Business News, Shares and Stock Markets News Live - Latest IPO, Mutual Funds, Budget, Income Tax and Finance News". Mint. Retrieved 21 February 2019.
- "BJP leader Ashwani Choubey, family rescued from Kedarnath". 20 June 2013.
- "PM Modi allocates portfolios. Full list of new ministers", Live Mint, 31 May 2019
- "Bihar encephalitis deaths: Was contemplating, says state health minister on charges of sleeping during meeting".
- "cow urine to be used in medicines". The Economic Times. 8 September 2019.
- "After Pragya Thakur, Union Minister Ashwini Choubey Sees Cure For Cancer in Cow Urine".
- Paliwal, Ankur (3 March 2018). "From cure in cow urine to 'superior child', pseudoscience inviting research". Business Standard.
- "Of 'cowpathy' & its miracles".
- "Former PM Morarji Desai used to drink cow urine: Ashwini Choubey".
- "Former PM Morarji Desai also used to drink cow urine for medicinal benefits: Ashwini Choubey".